60 Percent Bench Seat Release Handle Part Number | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

60 Percent Bench Seat Release Handle Part Number

hwydave

Reaction score
City, State
Torrance, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 XLT, 1999 XL (RIP)
My Explorer's 60% rear bench seat (passenger side) release handle has been difficult to pull to release/fold the seat down. The handle stripped while trying to folding down the seat the other day (I think I finally pull it too hard). I know the handle is made of plastic. The Ford Service Manual says the part # is 851282, which is not useful when trying to look for the part online. Does anyone know the actual part number? Thanks for your help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay good news and bad news. I Found the release handles bad news is all of them have been discontinued. not surprising its been 11 years since they made the 4th gen fords.
Here is a link to the site I use it does give part numbers that you could google. A salvage yard or eBay will your best option to find a replacement.
Rear Seat for 2009 Ford Explorer | Sneed Parts

Thanks for your help! I found it on eBay. $50 for the plastic part! Geee.....

My Explorer's 60% rear bench seat (passenger side) release handle has been difficult to pull to release/fold the seat down. The handle stripped while trying to folding down the seat the other day (I think I finally pull it too hard). I know the handle is made of plastic. The Ford Service Manual says the part # is 851282, which is not useful when trying to look for the part online. Does anyone know the actual part number? Thanks for your help!!
Last year I bought one from Ford, for my 2009 Explorer. But I also found it on rockauto.com when I was looking for something else. Unfortunately I do not know where the receipt is to find out what part number it is. I found the part number from an online repair manual.

As far as being hard to actuate the lever. That is how I stripped. Replacing it I found that I need to either push or pull on the back rest to relieve the pressure from the spring. Continue pushing on the back rest while turning the lever.

On Edit added:

I think the part was $8.00 at a dealer. Once the part arrived at dealer I Had to give up a day of fly fishing in Montana to pick up the part in Bozeman.

Back