Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mount Vernon, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1st Gen XLT 4dr
Callsign
KG7VTT
Help. I just spent $600 for new tires because I have a vibration at 60mph. The old tires were really bad, staring at 60 and getting progressivly worse. The new tires stop at about 62mph. Could this be caused by bad shocks? When I put the 5.5" superlift on, I retained the old Sears air shocks in the rear. The fronts are the superlift shocks. Is there a way to test to find out exactly where the vibration is coming from before I end up replacing everything. What about worn carrier bearing in the rear? U-joint(vibration there only at 60mph under power or coasting)? WHAT IS IT?

------------------
93XLT-5.5" Super Runner, Super Runner Steering, 1.5" Body lift,33x12.5,
Borla exhaust,KKM air filter, Warn HS9500i winch, Sony deck & 10 disk CD changer w/ 12" sub.

I would lean toward drive line vibration considering you have a lift. This isn't always the case, but many people report developing a vibration after lifting their vehicle. It is more common with short wheel base (ie, Jeep, Scout, etc..) than with the longer wheelbase of the Explorer. The easiest way to locate the problem is to jack up the rear (with the truck in 2wd) and place it on jack stands (make sure you are facing away from any targets (house, other cars, small children, etc... Start up the Explorer, put it in gear, and run it up to 60mph. If there is no vibration, it must have somethibg to do with the front and. If it does vibrate, and you know your tires are ballanced, have the drive line checked. If it is ok you may need to adjust your pinion angle.

Turned out to be a front shock bushing. 4 bucks and its all better.

------------------
93XLT-5.5" Super Runner, Super Runner Steering, 1.5" Body lift,33x12.5,
Borla exhaust,KKM air filter, Warn HS9500i winch, Sony deck & 10 disk CD changer w/ 12" sub.

Back