'66 Mustang Restomod Log | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'66 Mustang Restomod Log

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jeff - :navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

goin all out huh? We are restoring our '69 fastback, but it is going very slowly. 351w baby!!

Well, time for some more pix....all the sheetmetal is now done with the exception of the quarters and the front of the trunk floor.

Vent boxes being removed.
415604-18-05_01.jpg

New vent boxes installed.
415604-25-05_01.jpg

Cowl put back on.
415605-12-05_01.jpg

New shock tower and battery apron installed.
415604-18-05_04.jpg

415604-18-05_03.jpg

Trunk rails removed.
415604-29-05_02.jpg

Trunk rails back in.
415605-12-05_05.jpg

415605-12-05_04.jpg

Floorboards out.
415604-25-05_02.jpg

Floorboards back in...sorry for the crappy pix, that's how I got 'em from the shop...
4156floor2.jpg

4156floor1.jpg

Looks like you are doing this thing the right way, and I am sure it is going to turn out great! Please add to this thread as the work progresses. I plan to do an old mustang as soon as we get out of this townhouse (one car garage) and make a move to a single family home.

Thats just great. I cant wait to see the rest. :thumbsup:

WOW!!That is an awsome transformation in progress. We restored a Buick a few years ago and it is a painstaking event. It feels like you are watching a sick child get better.. It is all worth it in the end isn't it?.

Bumping this thread cause it's another nice restoration that I think is worthy of reading and keeping abreast on.

Keep us posted Jeff, looking forward to more progress pics. ;)

Jeff - :navajo:

Well, the car hasn't been touched since the last round of photos. The shop had 3 other cars come back from paint that needed to be assembled and returned to their owners, so they took precedence over our car (this was expected). They'll hopefully be back on it come early September.

For those of you that know Sue....yes she is going nuts not being able to drive her car..... :p

JDraper said:

For those of you that know Sue....yes she is going nuts not being able to drive her car..... :p

Poor Sue. I think we need to slap a For Sale sign on it or maybe donate it to someone in Maryland :D

Blee1099 said:
Poor Sue. I think we need to slap a For Sale sign on it or maybe donate it to someone in Maryland :D

Sue is next to me laughing hysterically at that one!! Her exact comment was "Yeah, right...over Ben's dead body!!!!" :p :p :mattmoon:

P.S. She's also mentioning something about "Pink Gremlins" visiting your truck" (Followed by a veeerrryyy evil laugh)...whatever THAT might imply

LOL.. I know she deserves that car but its so much fun poking fun at her.. I still remember how she felt at Carlisle during this year's run when she saw all the classic mustangs.

After a long hiatus, the car is back under the knife :D !

Attachments

• 09-22-05_03.jpg
    09-22-05_03.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 896
  • 09-22-05_02.jpg
    09-22-05_02.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 768
  • 09-22-05_01.jpg
    09-22-05_01.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 781

Couple more...They now tell us the car should be ready in January... :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 09-22-05_05.jpg
    09-22-05_05.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 797
  • 09-22-05_04.jpg
    09-22-05_04.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 798

Looks good Sue & Jeff.. Hopefully you get it back around early next year. Hopefully with no delays or issues.

Looks awsome. Hope you get it back in the middle of February [insert evil laugh here] :D

Great project, The parts picked for the engine are fantastic. The Edelbrock heads, would you happen to know the CC's in the combustuon chamber? and what size valves? Can't wait for more update.

rookieshooter said:
...The Edelbrock heads, would you happen to know the CC's in the combustuon chamber? and what size valves?

The heads are Edelbrock 60329's. Combustion chambers are 60cc. Intake valves are 1.90", exhaust are 1.60".

I've done all the work on the car with the exception of the body work. I built the motor up from a stock '66 casting bock, so it's still accurate for the vehicle (there is NO such thing as matching #'s on non K code '66 Mustangs). I've re-wired the whole vehicle with a Painless wiring kit, finished off the interior (previous owner had it about 75% done), converted the braking system over to power disc, and installed the Shelby springs and oversize swaybars. It bugs me some that I sent it out for bodywork, but I don't have the time or patience for it this time around.

Thanks for the info. Those heads are nice with those numbers. Might have to run the higher octane, but I wish I had that problelm. This thing is going to fly.

More pix...should be in paint by sometime next week :D :D :D

415610-18-05_01.jpg

415610-18-05_02.jpg

415610-18-05_03.jpg

415610-18-05_04.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

damn this looks kinda familiar, my buddy Brett is working on a real similar project right now, but this one (his second Mustang fastback build) will be EFI with A/C, an around town cruiser. He picked up a rotissarie for his Stang body, which is in worse condition then the one pictured :)

Back