• Register Today It's free!

6F55 trans drain and fill

Bill McCauley

Reaction score
City, State
NORTH ARLINGTON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
Hey guys so I have a 17 explorer XLT with a 6F55 trans I just did a drain and fill after I found out it was low a quart and a half I bought it used and I put in 5 quarts of fluid and it seems to be over filled a little bit I was wondering how many quarts it holds on a drain and fill I know it’s about 12 quarts dry I just want to make sure 5 is enough and I’m not going crazy FYI I bought the truck used

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi there. I did this on my 2017 Explorer XLT last month and it drained exactly 5 quarts, so I refilled with 5 quarts and checked. Since our model has a dipstick, we can easily check the level and adjust as needed...

Hi there. I did this on my 2017 Explorer XLT last month and it drained exactly 5 quarts, so I refilled with 5 quarts and checked. Since our model has a dipstick, we can easily check the level and adjust as needed...
Awesome thanks I just wanted to make sure the 5 quarts was fine and that I wasn’t going crazy

I drained 5.75 quarts. (2013 XLT) It was filled by previous owner at the dealer like that. Dealer used the coolant pipes method according to the previous owner. When refilling, I read the haynes book to start with 5 quarts and add slowly. I was expecting to fill 5+3/4, but after 5 quarts I was already at max on dipstick. It was hard for me accept the missing 3/4 quart drained but not filled. Asked the dealer how may quarts do you refill with old school drain and refill. The service advisers had no clue. They did not even have the common sense to ask a technician. They just said "i don't know", and moved on. Finally, one of them advised to start with 4 quarts and fill as needed. For such a popular car, I thought this information should be more available and precise....

I drained 5.75 quarts. (2013 XLT) It was filled by previous owner at the dealer like that. Dealer used the coolant pipes method according to the previous owner. When refilling, I read the haynes book to start with 5 quarts and add slowly. I was expecting to fill 5+3/4, but after 5 quarts I was already at max on dipstick. It was hard for me accept the missing 3/4 quart drained but not filled. Asked the dealer how may quarts do you refill with old school drain and refill. The service advisers had no clue. They did not even have the common sense to ask a technician. They just said "i don't know", and moved on. Finally, one of them advised to start with 4 quarts and fill as needed. For such a popular car, I thought this information should be more available and precise....

It's probably because no one changes the trans fluid until it is too late. I'm up for my first drain and refill at 30k miles soon. My notes for my 2014 Taurus SHO was 5 quarts. I'll keep a closer eye on my 2018 Explorer. My 2017 Fusion Sport also has a 6F55 but I won't be changing the trans fluid for another year.

Back