7-pin trailer socket with round pins? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

7-pin trailer socket with round pins?

miksu

Reaction score
City, State
Espoo, Finland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT AWD
Hi,
I'm using my 2016 Explorer in Europe and as such, I have requirement for slightly different trailer light connectors and actual light configuration, main difference being turn lights are not integrated into rear/brake lights. 2016 Ex does have separate yellow turn lights and brake lights in rear and 7-pin socket trailer socket with round pins (seems to be called heavy duty or agricultural in US, officially SAE J560) has European style separate brake and turn circuits. It should be quite easy to get separate turn and brake circuits from Explorers rear light harness with suitable harness, as everything is already in vehicle’s harness.

One option might be using trailer harness with round USACAR seven pin socket. Ford workshop manual tells, that socket C4099 and harness 14N139 do have separate brake, tail and turns. However, plenty of sites say it’s usually wired into combined taillights in aftermarket harnesses. Part number 3U2Z-14S411-JXB gives the picture of this socket.

Now, the question: is there trailer harness for 2016 Explorer, that has heavy duty/agricultural (SAE J560) socket with round pins? Or harness, that can be easily modified? Seven pin blade socket (“RV”) has combined turn/brake/rear circuits. I know converters exist, but not willing to use them, as they seem to be somewhat unreliable. Connectors can be obtained and I’m able to crimp pins, but would really prefer factory made product.

I tried to search for newer (2019 ->) trailer harness for European market Explorers, but didn’t find any. 2019 -> has same tail light configuration and harness connectors as every Explorer since 2011. Hybrid Explorer is imported to EU, and one might think, that readymade harness is available?

You should be able to just pick up a 7 pin round connector and swap it out. Since the harness is already there you shouldn't need it.

Back