$70 Lift, yea and it works. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

$70 Lift, yea and it works.

Still running and better than ever, SOA 35" tires front and rear 5$ a piece. put near 10k OFFROAD miles on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only one word comes to mind "FAIL", nice work there buddy!

I read this thread awhile back, but didn't comment...

Cevigney, if your welding hasn't cracked anywhere (or near them either), and you've seriously "tested" them, go for it I say. I am curious if you used a 110v flux-core mig welder, however... if so you can burn hotter and tidy that up lol.

My first observation would be more based on the location of the 2" box tube (it looks like 2" anyway), that supports the passenger side TTB arm bracket. It really looks like it would rub the steering arm when the passenger front tire goes into a lot of up-travel.

Second observation would be that if the top of the box tube is welded to the frame... keep an eye on that, since the frame is designed to have some flex. It could potentially crack around that weld. Rigidity is not always your friend lol. Again, just give it a peek sometimes, it can't hurt.

All in all, the camber looks good and it appears you gave it more than 5 minutes thought... so my opinion (like it matters lol) is if you are confident, ride on bro.

Another member says "I strongly abide by the motto, safety third".. and it makes me smile every time I read it. :D

Everyone assumes that I care if it breaks or not. if it does I'll drag it home and put it back together. its a very rare day it gets over 25mph. I beat the tar outta this thing, so why would I bother throwing mass amounts of money into it like some of the other builds.

I am confidant because I don't care I can go through most things some of these top end builds can. exoskeletons and all.. why bother?

I am confidant because I don't care I can go through most things some of these top end builds can. exoskeletons and all.. why bother?
Well, since you asked, there is such a thing as craftsmanship and skills.
"Anyone can pick up a brush and put it to a canvas. It takes training and talent to actually create something worthwhile"

Everyone assumes that I care if it breaks or not. if it does I'll drag it home and put it back together.

That is one heavy drag outta the middle of nowhere. Hope you got a big back brace.

All and all I like it, it's a machine of purpose and entertainment. It's not pretty but I wouldn't call it ugly either; call it rough around the edges with a rugged stance :thumbsup: I like what you've done with the chop top and as long as it stays together and is safe then it's fine in my eyes.

As for "why bother?", everything worth doing is worth doing well. I like the budget and ideas but the execution needs a little work. Really it's just the welds on the angle iron brace that stick out to me (And maybe the brake line zip tied to the drop bracket) You don't need expensive/exotic materials or a high budget to enjoy this hobby, sometimes all it takes is a little elbow grease :hammer:

Got any more pics since the SOA. I'd like to see more of your tailgate as well :)

Still running and better than ever, put near 10k OFFROAD miles on.
10K in 5 months, that's 2000 miles a month, or 500 a week offroad! That's pretty impressive! Where the heck do you live?

Northern michigan west of marquette. a hell of a lot of old logging in mine roads. you can get anywhere north of 41 without having to touch pavement once.

56yb9.jpg

Just took er' out today. after about 200 miles of wheeling blew a tranny line. limped her back to town no fluid 25 miles 1st gear.

do you have any more pics of the chop top?

i think the truck looks good. but **** man a rough country lift is 400$. What your running now might be "strong" enough but just knowing your not going to drop the ttb, smash in the front end, have the ttb rip everything apart under the truck as you grind over it and then most likely end up on the roof in the ditch and probly hurt yourself really bad is worth WAY more then the cost of the lift.

I pretty much decided to get rid of the hanging OEM gas tank picked up something better, smaller but better. Fits right between the rails.

did you ever take it out for a drive after you chopped the top but before you put that roll bar on the back? if so did the body like wiggle from being unstable from not having the whole roof on? just wondering cause i want to do a chop top but i dont have acess to a tube bender to make a brace for the back.

Look at my crappy work, no tube bending there. I had to cut the back off cause it was flapping in the wind. not utilizing the rear body mounts and welded right to the frame AND the body. it is amazingly solid. A lot of the creaking and popping went away.
Yea I put a few thousand miles on after the chop top.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the chop top looks good. not crappy at all... unless the snow is covering up some ugly stuff. not sure how to explain my question properly, um if you push on the side of the body towards the back with enough pressure to make the truck lean a bit does the body stay square as it leans? or is a rollbar like brace needed to keep the very back of the body stable/square? not wondering about the body mounts more of how rigid the body stayed after it was chopped.

Back