• Register Today It's free!

700 Mile Owner Review - 2020 ST

cpainter3

Reaction score
City, State
Troy MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
As some of you may know, I took delivery of an Iconic Silver ST on July 1. I’ve had it about 10 days now, so here are some random thoughts based on ~700 miles of driving, including local trips, interstates and rural two-lane highways:

- All-round mileage is 22.2; includes 80 mph and stop-and-go. I’m thrilled, as the 3.5L Flex it replaced would have returned a good 5 mpg less.

- Adaptive cruise control works great, even on two lane highways. The “intelligent” Copilot system picks up speed limit changes the moment you pass the signs. On busier interstates, in long lines passing trucks, I had to set the following distance at least to the second closest (of 4) to discourage tailgaters from attempting to whip around on the right and (trying to) squeeze in in front of me.

- OK, driving modes. “Normal” is the default at startup and is fine for all-around driving. I relied on “Eco” for a lot of cruising. Throttle response in Eco is quite docile and upshifts to the higher gears occur quickly. Acceleration is there if you need it but it’s understated. The dash display is sparse and the speedo is outlined with a green ring. A genuine “Dr. Jekyll” personality.
Turning the drive mode dial to “Sport” summons Mr. Hyde right now. The dash display switches to two rings, speed and tach, both outlined in red and the center of the tach shows the transmission setting (“D”, or the current gear if in manual shift mode). Throttle response (I believe the term is “tip-in”) is immediate. Upshifts are at way higher RPMs and are definitely firmer, almost abrupt (and believe me, this is not a criticism). The piped-in exhaust note lets you hear every change in RPM. You also feel and hear the transmission downshift firmly through the gears as you coast down from speed.

- In Sport mode, I tried a “brisk” standing start with a couple passengers and they were duly impressed. I have no doubt that a balls-out 0-60 (traction control off, brake torque and 93 octane) would be in the 5.0 range. Speedo reads to 160. I’ll probably use the Eco mode as much as possible to put off my first speeding ticket as long as possible.

- Engine start/stop is active in Normal and Eco modes and can be turned off with a button on the console (defaults back on with next startup). Engine will restart while stopped if it needs to, e.g. if it needs to run the AC. I’m OK with all that as we’ve had a Fusion Hybrid for 5 years, so completely used to engine stopping and restarting. The Explorer restarts immediately when you release the brake pedal before your foot can get to the accelerator. And here’s a tip: when at a stop, if you ease up on the brake slightly, there’s a sweet spot where the vehicle is still stopped but the engine will restart and stay running.
Start/stop is suppressed in Sport mode. I haven’t used the other modes (towing, slippery, etc.) to determine if start/stop is active in those modes.

- I did not get the Technology package and am quite content with the smaller standard landscape display screen. YMMV.

- I’m still working through the manual to understand and get everything dialed in the way I want. Some settings are done in the center dash screen (while stopped); others are done in the instrument display cluster, and some of those while in motion (like adaptive cruise following distance). The manual is not clear at differentiating how to get to a particular setting menu so it takes some hunting around (and memorizing new button icons).

- 2.3L and 3.0L engines use 5W-30 oil; 3.3L uses 5W-20. For “extremely cold” climates 0W-30 and 0W-20 respectively are recommended.

- Even though it’s an early production unit, I’m not finding any flaws or hiccups. That said, I’ll be buying an ESP plan through the connection in this forum.

All in all, I’m very happy and have no regrets whatsoever and I’m sure none of you will either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good to see youre enjoying it, I took delivery of mine on july 3rd. I've actually had a couple hiccups with the sync system ( i have the tech package), and the rear brake assist, but havent tried a few other things. Ive read that manual front to back and feel like I'm missing things with the 12 inch screen. I've managed to put 180 miles in 10 days but I love it

We went yesterday to look at the exact model that I have on order. This may seem trivial but my phone does not fit in the wireless charger. I have a note 9 with an otter box case. Just a weird observation. But then again, who knows what phone I'll have have when I eventually get my vehicle? Lol! Eternally in production!

We went yesterday to look at the exact model that I have on order. This may seem trivial but my phone does not fit in the wireless charger. I have a note 9 with an otter box case. Just a weird observation. But then again, who knows what phone I'll have have when I eventually get my vehicle? Lol! Eternally in production!
I can say that an iPhone X fits just fine.
And, in addition to the wireless charger pad (which is toward the rear of the console at base of storage unit) there’s a slot to the right of the shift knob that I believe is designed to hold a phone vertically. Should also accommodate an attached charger cord as well. I’ll try to update with a measurement later.
EDIT: the slot is 3-1/4” wide. Didn’t measure depth but plenty deep enough to hold a phone. Manual describes it as “small item storage“.

I can say that an iPhone X fits just fine.
And, in addition to the wireless charger pad (which is at the rear of console at base of storage unit) there’s a slot to the right of the shift knob that I believe is designed to hold a phone vertically. Should also accommodate an attached charger cord as well. I’ll try to update with a measurement later.
How are the cup holders? Its a big thing with my wife

Have you noticed how the image of the vehicle shown on that 12.1 display changes with the modes?

Peter

How are the cup holders? Its a big thing with my wife
The console cupholders seem fine and will hold any standard commuter cup, Starbucks, soda pop can, etc. Each holder has 4 spring-loaded pads to securely hold smaller containers.

Have you noticed how the image of the vehicle shown on that 12.1 display changes with the modes?

Peter
Yes. Saw it described as an Easter Egg in another thread. Have already experienced the Fusion and Mustang having used both Normal and Sport modes. Also interesting that the “roadway” beneath them turns yellow then red if you get close to tailgating. The spacing is speed dependent. So much sophisticated electronics compared to my prior vehicles.

Any one have any information or pricing on the Ford ESP Plan for the new ST?

is the LCD screen an option that is only available if you buy the big center screen. I don't really want the larger center screen but I don't want to loose the full LCD dash display.

is the LCD screen an option that is only available if you buy the big center screen. I don't really want the larger center screen but I don't want to loose the full LCD dash display.

Platinum or ST without tech package will give you what you want but no massaging seats then if you care.

Platinum or ST without tech package will give you what you want but no massaging seats then if you care.
You get me one way or the other. We want the fancy seats so I guess it's the large screen. We never use the massage function even though we travel long distances. The seats are just so comfortable. It's the biggest reason we bought the platinum.

You get me one way or the other. We want the fancy seats so I guess it's the large screen. We never use the massage function even though we travel long distances. The seats are just so comfortable. It's the biggest reason we bought the platinum.
That's the Premium Technology Package you want. As far as the "so comfortable" seats I think you may be in the minority as there is a 5 page thread on how uncomfortable they are in the 5th gen Forum. It took me about 6 months to get used to mine. Good luck.

Peter

I'm happy to hear that MPG is up quite a bit on these. Fuel Mileage is what I absolutely HATE about my Sport, and I personally know others that have complained about it, too. I think I average 15-17 in summer and 12-15 in winter... it blows! The best I ever got was 20 on a straight highway trip from Milwaukee, WI to Sandusky, OH. Other than MPG, I really dislike the FWD bias, as it feels clunky... so I'm really looking forward to the RWD bias platform.

Wish I could grab a 2020 ST, as I've had my eyes set on a 2020 for nearly two years now, but I opted to build a house rather than get a new vehicle this year. Perhaps next year!!

The other part of me thought to get an F150, but if I'm going to drop $60k on a truck, I'd rather get a nice SUV instead. I know I would use the functions of a truck occasionally, but the SUV can do some of those with the revised interior and plenty of towing capacity.

That's the Premium Technology Package you want. As far as the "so comfortable" seats I think you may be in the minority as there is a 5 page thread on how uncomfortable they are in the 5th gen Forum. It took me about 6 months to get used to mine. Good luck.

Peter
We both love the seats, great lumbar support, nice leather, plenty of positions available, etc. We drive 700 miles twice a year and neither of suffer from it. I've got a bad back and if I could move my seat into the den I'd do it. It's the only comfortable chair I own.:bounce:Guess I'll have to check the seat thread.

I'm in a 17 Ex Sport and mulling a 2020 ST. So is there no longer a Sport Mode / Sand Mode combo for extra-spirited driving?

I hate the vertical/portrait oriented tablet screens. Am I understanding correctly that those come with the tech package?

How are the seats in terms of comfort? I was never impressed with the seats in my 17 Sport. I had. Hyundai rental just before buying it and the seats were far more comfortable.

Here is what the Owner's Manual says;
Selectable Drive Mode controller with
7 settings (Normal, Eco, Sport, Trail,
Slippery, Deep Snow/Sand and
Tow/Haul).

The 10.1" vertical screen is part of the Premium Technology Package. The horizontal 8" screen is standard.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, “Deep Snow/Sand” and “Sport” are separate modes. Haven’t tried Deep Snow/Sand (hope I don’t have to for awhile) but Sport is definitely “sporty”; see my review above.

The standard 8” horizontal screen is unobtrusive and meets my needs just fine.

I find the standard seats to be firm and felt great for a 3 hour drive (longest I’ve taken so far). I find the inflatable lumbar cushion to be the most important feature (I like to sit fairly upright) and it works well, lots of adjustment possible.

Back