Solved - 700R4 Trans and D300 T-Case Swap? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 700R4 Trans and D300 T-Case Swap?

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Jefe,

Is the switch on the handle you now got a momentary switch? or a push on/off switch? All the handles I found have momentary switches.. so I installed a small on/off switch on the side of my shifter console for the 3rd gear lockup..

Now I'm looking at getting a handle with a momentary switch that I can use to block lockup when I want it off (e.g. want to pass, but don't want it locked up for a few seconds).

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use a momentary switch. I only use it for climbing hills on the freeway. IE at the bottom of the hill downshift to 3rd, hold switch, get to the top and let go of switch and shift back to 4th. I use it mostly to keep the RPM's down and all available torque/HP going to the wheels, though it does help with heat. I assume its not the greatest to leave the TC locked up while shifting, which is why I went momentary, and I don't understand why the kit comes with the on/off switch, unless you're sopposed to tow in 3rd and you flip the switch when you get on the freeway and remember to turn it back off when you slow down.

Okay, going to order all this stuff this weekend, should get it by next week. Then the build. :p

Okay, I got a nifty NP231 with a SYE already installed.
Now for the transmission and all the other stuff.

Okay, I got everything in but am putting off the swap. Am going to Glamis next weekend for my yearly trip to the crazies. Tuesday am getting the tow bar I have modified so I can tow the Explorer behind the RV. Will have to drop the rear drive shaft on this trip cause there is no way the new transmission/transfer case swap would be done in time for this trip and I don't want to go camping without my 4x4. If the stock transmission blows (and it might because it has been slipping) I will just hook it back up and tow it home.

BKennedy said:
I can tow the Explorer behind the RV.

What, no pictures of the new pimp mobile?

tdavis said:
What, no pictures of the new pimp mobile?
That's funny, you should have seen the rigs I was camping with at Glamis. I don't understand how someone can spend $275,000.00 on a motorhome. I mean, yeah, its huge, has triple slides, plasma screens and all the goodies..but that is a heck of a lot of money.
Here is our little class A;
3817DSCF0188.jpg

3817DSCF0170.jpg

My Explorer out of its element, wallowing around on the dunes like a beached whale.
3817DSCF0096.jpg

My Buddy Dan. He couldn't make it out because he had to work, so he flew over and hit the siren. He is in air operations now.
3817DSCF0074.jpg

Drool on your "class A" hell thats good enough for me!

I wanted a class A because I knew we would end up with one anyway, so why keep buying up when you can just get the one you want the first time? Its only 30', which is pretty small for a class A. It sure pulls the Explorer better than the Explorer pulled the trailer though. That 362 HP V10 sure is a good motor.......I wonder if one would fit in the Explorer??? :rolleyes: :eek: :confused:

Who makes this V-10? My dad's F-250 isa V-10 and it ROCKS! They got a bad wrap but hes never had an issues that that thing screams...

BKennedy said:
My Buddy Dan. He couldn't make it out because he had to work, so he flew over and hit the siren.
3817DSCF0074.jpg
At Glamis, that must have been the equivalent of turning on the kitchen light and seeing the ****roaches scatter! :p

BKennedy said:
I wanted a class A because I knew we would end up with one anyway, so why keep buying up when you can just get the one you want the first time? Its only 30', which is pretty small for a class A. It sure pulls the Explorer better than the Explorer pulled the trailer though. That 362 HP V10 sure is a good motor.......I wonder if one would fit in the Explorer??? :rolleyes: :eek: :confused:
Wow, nice set up you got there Brian, now you're campin' in style :thumbsup:
Don't mean to get off topic but while we're on the subject of motorhomes, I've been working off and on lately at these motorcoach resorts near my house where you'll see nothing but the Prevost/Marathon motorcoaches and it's pretty amazing. They each have their own lots with full hookups as well as a little casita where they have a kitchen, bathroom,washer & dryer and those are the small ones. The larger casitas are about 1100 sq. ft. and have a living room with plasma tv and all. Outside area is just as nice with swimming pool, full outdoor kitchen/bbq area. One of the resorts even has canals with docks at each casita...of course you can only go idle speed through there but the boats are nothing to scawf at either. Ahh, to be rich.

Well, I guess if you can afford a million dollar motor coach, you can afford a casita to go with it.

Just dropped off the truck today, should get it back in a few weeks. I can't wait to drive it! :p

RangerX said:
At Glamis, that must have been the equivalent of turning on the kitchen light and seeing the ****roaches scatter! :p
Naw, everyone just flipped him off.

410Fortune said:
Who makes this V-10? My dad's F-250 isa V-10 and it ROCKS! They got a bad wrap but hes never had an issues that that thing screams...
I think its made by Ford!??
My Dad has a GMC Workhorse engine in his RV and mine will out pull it up hills with that V-10. The V-10 is a good high rev engine.

Okay, now everything is mounted up and there is some major problems with the linkage for the T-case. Seems the transmission tunnel is too small for all the standard Jeep stuff to clear. Jason found out that Chevy manufactured an 4X4 S-10 for a few years with the 700R4 and NP231 transmission. He found all the linkage for that in Michigan and it should be here tomorrow. Its a cable setup that mounts inside the passenger compartment on top of the t-tunnel. Now I will need to find a short center console that is wide enough to cover the linkage but short enough to fit behind the shifter. Maybe I can just modify my stock one by moving it back enough to clear.

If that's all the major problems, then your doing real good!

Wow, who knew the S-10 had such a decent drivetrain :confused:
Looks like your making good progress though, can't wait to see how it does on the trail.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not too sure it will be finished by this weekend. Might be coming out without the 4X4. :(

Back