Solved - 700R4 Trans and D300 T-Case Swap? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 700R4 Trans and D300 T-Case Swap?

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
FROADER said:
Is that SOB done yet?
Pretty much all finished. I just have to find the time to pick it up either Thursday or Friday. Jason drove it around for a few hours running errands, then had the transmission fine tuned by someone he knows. He did not like it at first because it shifts at around 4000rpm, but when he got used to it, he likes it more than the stock tranny. I can't wait to drive it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice Brian,
Put a few more trips on the Ex then it's time to tear it down for the SAS right? :D

Okay, just got it back this morning. I really like the low first gear, and reverse is like a crawler gear. The T-case shifter is a little strange and I am going to have to get used to that because its backwards from a standard shifter due to the cable setup (2hi is all the way back, 2lo is all the way forward).
I also found out that Jason took it to another tranny shop who he really trusts, and they spent all day getting the transmission to shift right, after I got it back the second time. Bowtie says there was nothing wrong with the transmission, but for some reason, it was completly rebuilt....?? All that work at another tranmission place costs nearly as much as the transmission itself. I am real unhappy with Bowtie, but at least I know the transmission is all dialed in. Anyway, want to go wheelin, right now!!!!! :p :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:
Oh, Jefe, how did you get your old transmission shift lever off of the steering column??

BKennedy said:
Oh, Jefe, how did you get your old transmission shift lever off of the steering column??
Still trying to shift with it?? :D

Three screws to pop the plastic covers off top and bottom of the steering column. Then pull the pin that the shift lever pivots on. I could have removed the whole assembly but it would have been a lot more work.

When I removed my column shift leve I just used a cutoff wheel.. < 1 minute and it was off..

It took me longer to change the shift letters panel (the PRNOD21 piece) to one from a manaul truck.

BTW.. your xfer case shift pattern isn't backwards :) .. at least compared to a Chevy 3/4 ton with an np203.. I used to have to hold the lever all the way forward with my foot (I was the passenger), otherwise it would pop out of 2low-lock.

~Mark

Thanks, will take it out today. I am going to try to cut down the stock center console and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I will have to find one for a Jeep that fits behind that huge truck B&M shifter. I like how high up the shifter sits, so I don't have to lean over at all to change gears. I also need to fab some type of cover over the T-case shifter, since there is not one available because it is supposed to be covered up with a center console in its original design. Am thinking of incorporating a cup holder in this cover. I will take a few pictures in a day or two and post as soon as possible. Nice to have it back. Drove it work last night, and the gearing is much lower than the old tranny. It really takes off up to about 70.
Sorry Rock Ranger but the old t-case was thrown in the dumpster last month.

So Brian, are you a go for the T-haven run?

Transfer case and transmission out of harms way.
3817tcase_view.jpg

Tranny shifter (might replace later, should not look so out of place when I replace the center console)
3817T_shifter.jpg

T-case shifter (need to cover up linkage)
3817Tcase_shifter.jpg

Anyone want to post pictures of their center console's and shifters?

I like that tranny X-member with skidplate :thumbsup:
Looks like you could get another cover like the one for your tranny shifter but cut in half for your T-case shifter...is there room to place them side by side if you did that?

DB_1 said:
I like that tranny X-member with skidplate :thumbsup:
Looks like you could get another cover like the one for your tranny shifter but cut in half for your T-case shifter...is there room to place them side by side if you did that?
There might be, but I was thinking of making a fabric covered wood cover for the t-case shifter that incorporates a cup holder and a rubber boot to keep the dust out of the shifter, since I will lose the cup holders from the center console when I cut it down.

I just got done messing around with the shifter. it's adjustable so I moved it down over two inches. It looks much nicer and is in a better hand position. Still do not have to lean over to shift. I need to cut down the housing later. While I was doing that, I noticed that the back lighting on the gear indicator was missing the bulb, and the indicator only has three forward gears (1,2,D). It should have four. The shifter rachets down past the "1" so all four forwad gears are engaging and working, just the indicator is wrong. I called bowtie and they are sending me the bulb and the new indicator. I think I am just going to cut down the original center console for right now. It will look like crap, but should work for a temp. Will also give me a template for when I craft an entire new console that incorporates the transmission and T-case shifters.

FROADER said:
Wow, you just haven't really had any luck with Bowtie at all have you?
Nope, none at all. If I had to do it all over again, I would have a local company do the transmission work.

Did some research on the internet about building a center console. Going to get supplies today. I will take pictures as I build. I am going to use birch plywood covered with vinyl to match the stock armrest. Will use the stock mounts on the rear for the arm rest so I can keep the stock height and look as much as possible. Got a double cup holder from a Cherokee center console that should just fit in between the transmission shifter and the arm rest because you gotta have cup holders, Man!! :confused: :eek:

I found some vinyl that matches the interior and should be picking that up in a few days. Roughed out the sides of the console today in a few hours. It lines up with the original arm rest mount and should work.
3817Console_1.jpg

The Cherokee cup holder I got is too wide (friggin J&^ps) so am using some for a boat. Might only be able to fit one in there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice so far! I have been planning my center console for a year or so, collecting parts etc. Mine will be wood and fiberglass, with a cooler that drains out the bottom of the truck, te CB mounted, ARB switches, gages, cup holders, all sorts of junk is going in there. I picked up some mocha bar stool vinyl that is a PERFECT match for the ford mocha interior years ago, I got 8 yards of it, I figured I would use it for all sorts of stuff, i was right!

Looking good! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Back