Solved - 700R4 Trans and D300 T-Case Swap? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 700R4 Trans and D300 T-Case Swap?

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Worked on a little more today. Starting to take shape. One side is shorter because I need it more narrow on that side for the t-case shifter.
console_2.jpg

With the stock arm rest in place.
Console_3.jpg

Without arm rest,
Console_4.jpg

I plan on locking it down with the cover mounts for the transmission shifter and the arm rest mount.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Worked a little more today, got a lot done. All I need to do now is cover the sides with vinyl, then cut the inserts for the top and cover them as well. Then hope it all goes together (its been going too smothly so something has to go wrong). Oh, yeah, I need to make a cover out of the same material for the transfer case shifter but its only two pieces of vinyl covered plywood.
console_5.jpg

The left side is moved inward to clear the t-case shifter. The holes towards the front of the console are to clear three switches I need (torque converter lockup, disable interior lights, pet fan in rear on and off).
console_6.jpg

This has been made with a hand held jig saw and a skill saw.

Wow, Brian, I didn't know you had carpentry skills! :thumbsup:

RangerX said:
Wow, Brian, I didn't know you had carpentry skills! :thumbsup:
That's probably because we're usually hearing funny stories about "The World's Most Stupid Criminals." :)

I would have been finished by now, but I got a nasty case of poison sumac, or oak or ivy, something. Picked it up climbing down into a river bottom to see if a car over the side was occupied. My partner got it too. :thumbdwn:

Spent some more time on the console today. Got the sides covered with vinyl and it matches exactly the interior color. :cool: Cut all the insert top and rear pieces, and the lid for the junk box. I think this is actually going to work :p
Still need to cover the inserts, lid and rear pieces.
Console_7.jpg

The small wood piece on the right of the console is to cover up the shifter cable linkage for the transfer case. Am going to attach it to the top of the t-case shifter with some industrial strentgh velcro. Still need to make a small metal cover out of sheet metal for the actual linkage itself. The big holes in the center of the console are for the cup holders, cause you gotta have cup holders, man.........
Console8.jpg

Well, I got the entire console covered and it fits where it is supposed to fit. Took about three hours today to find out I have to take off the shift lever to remount the gear indicator cable when the console is mounted up. Got frustrated, will finish it up tomorrow.....

thats really great work.

Well, I'm blushing like a little school girl...... ;) :p
I still need to make a cover for the t-case linkage cable end out of sheet metal, but I don't have any more time before T-haven. All it really would do is keep dust out anyway, the linkage is protected.

RockRanger said:
nery nice cant wait to check it out tommorow.
I hope Matt doesn't spill his Dr Pepper on it.

I forgot to check that console out at T-Haven...looks great from the pics ;)

Well, finally got to drive it off road at Truckhaven. Worked great. Nice low gearing and shifting for the transmission. Loved the 2wd low on the T-case. Good downhill engine braking (not great, but much improved). Very well suited combo of transmission and T-case for off-road.

Looks great. I am going to have to model mine after this since I just tore it up to put the tcase lever in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maniak said:
If you have the spot for it.. You can hook one of these up to keep an eye on the transmission.. I got the 350 PSI version.. This way if the TV cable has a problem (breaks etc) I will catch it before it blows the the transmission.

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult.asp?Type=Elec_Engine_Pressure&Series=Industrial_Black&Cart=

I also added one of these (put the sender in the pan)... http://www.egauges.com/vdo_ind.asp?Type=Trans_Oil_Temp&Series=EVM-R&PN=R6859R&Cart=1

BowTie says to pull over if your temp gets over 150.. BUT in summer my pan temp can be 130 even before I start the truck.. The highest I've seen my pan temp get to is 195, in stop/go traffic in town in 105F+ temps.. I use synthetic trans fluid and when I changed it (5k miles after I installed this trans) the fluid didn't smell burnt and was still bright red. I am using 2 coolers, a stack style and a fin style, combined GVWR of those 2 cooler comes out to be about 30k.

~Mark

What pressure is right for this transmission? I did not install it so I have no idea...
Why did you go with a mech temp gauge versus electric?

Back