Solved - 700R4 Trans and D300 T-Case Swap? | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 700R4 Trans and D300 T-Case Swap?

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
I am not real familiar with explorers as all of my experience is with B2's and rangers but wouldn't a Dana 20 have also been a good choice for that truck? Also. does the ex front TTB (I really don't like calling any TTB an axle) drop on the same side as a B2/Ranger?
I went with the NP231 on the advice of my off road guru, and I liked the fact that they used to be in the old Dodge Powerwagons with mucho horsepower, so I figured it would last. Besides, Brother of Jefe just happened to have one taking up space in his garage that already had the SYE kit installed. So then, all I had to do was put in the 2low conversion and it was ready to go. The difference between the Explorer and the Ranger/B2 TTB's is the B2 had a Dana 30 up front and the Explorers have a Dana 35. Same side drop.
Did you clock your t-case to get it up between the frame rails? Mine is so far up there, it did not need a skid plate, but we put one in anyway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rangers & B2 had D28s

yep, 7.5. Unless it was a '90+ 4.0L ranger 4x4 then it had a 28 spline 8.8.

I straight axled it and when I did all of it I had the truck completely torn apart so it was no big deal to put in an early Bronco D44 along with the Dana 20 out of the same truck, however yes I did angle it down a good bit as the AA clocking ring that came with the kit allowed me to do so and I got a little bit better driveshaft angle out of it with the T-case tilted down. I did build a skid plate for it because I was able to integrate it into the crossmember and figured if I was going to do it I might as well do it right the first time instead of having to worry about ripping a transfer case off of my transmission.

Back