• Register Today It's free!

70s f250 dana 44 swap

mazdamama

Reaction score
City, State
Reno, Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Mazda B4000 standard
ive got agreat deal on some 79 f250 axles, high pinion, w/ disks and strong shafts, only problem is there leaf sprung, i only wanted to use radius arms and coil springs. so does anyone know if i can weld on the c's to these axles to mount radius arms, or has anyone ever used leafs to do this? which leaf and shackle combo did you use. my three focuses are approach angle, flex, and road safety. can i make this ale work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go search in the SAS forums... you'll plenty that have used leaf spring setups. Just got to search dude... it's all in searching before you post.

im new to the forum, maybe i posted this in the wrong section, is there a better place to post this?

look up cage offroad. they have a weld on kit for there arms. and the springs are super flexy.

and welcom to the forum

thanks lifeguard, yeah, if your talking about the weld on c wedges i was wondering if those would fit the f250 axle tube,i looked over your build last week and really liked it, what did you use for steering? i was already planning on going with cage. i live in reno so if you ever want to go out to moonrocks ohv or the con hit me up, im planning on being done with this swap in a few months, just waiting on an insurance check to come in the mail.

with a grinder anything can fit. :) cant remember who, but some one on hear did it with a dana 60.

for sure, what did you do for steering links.

my steering is mix of stock draglink and 79 f-150 tierod.

my steering is mix of stock draglink and 79 f-150 tierod.

oh, that sounds simple, so is the stock draglink facing the same direction or is it flipped? do you have any bumpsteer? what pittman arm did you use? ive got 1 for a skyjacker 6 inch, but i also bought the extreme drop one as well.

76 and down are casred btw. anything can be done make shure you know how to weld cast. or just mount leaf springs.

Fellow Nevadan

Nice to see another from Nevada! Good luck check out Ballistic Fab's Steering stuff as well. I used Ballistic, and James Duff arms worked great, handles better than before!

cool man, hit me up if you ever come up to moonrocks or the rubicon. by the way did you have to space the radius arms out from the frame, or how did you mount them. can i get away with homemade extended ones for a while or should i just save and buy some duffs?

also i could use a little advice from anyone reading this. the axles i am now considering are a 79 bronco set with 5.38's and an arb front, but spooled rear. im not a fan of a spool or the drum brakes, is there a comparable axle i can use? would a fullsize ford 8.8 with disks have the same bolt pattern, and be worth building, or should i just regear the rear?

Sorry I never got back to you. lost my internet for a while (Satalite sux) I am not sure if you should make them or buy them I had a time issue single dad, militray so I just bought them after the first attempt. Although I really didn't save much money building vs buying. It was more a pride thing for me to make them VS buying them.

No my arms bolt right under my frame no spaceing for the arms, unless you mean spring buckets then yes had to space out 2 inches on both sides.

I'd run the 9 inch and buy a carrier for a detroit. I was going to use a full sized 8.8 but didn't get it in time, so I went with a big bearing 9inch with disks and am glad I did. Most all full size fords run 5 on 5.5 wheel bolt pattern.

Why do you not like the spool? I am going to run one in my BroncoII I am building (when I get home)

Spool on the street makes for some fast tire wear.

All the more reason to drive on the dirt! JK Mine will be a dedicated trail rig not sure what Mazdamaman plans on doing with his rig. Lots of street then Detroit is the way to go!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back