75mm Accufab throttle bodies, 347's, and 1998 Explorer Sports; an impossible dream? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

75mm Accufab throttle bodies, 347's, and 1998 Explorer Sports; an impossible dream?

if Ford of America had been more like Australia in that regard, they perhaps would have made a run of exactly what I'm trying to put together here: 2 door Explorer Sports with 347 V-8's and 5-speeds.

Have a used one shipped from Australia? Maybe cheaper than what your engine builder has in mind for you.

The difference between new and used is a 3rd party is making money off you new while the other is just trying to get their money back out of it, which save you money.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as the linkage modification, we do not recommend it so you are on your own..."

They must have meant not recommending going through the trouble of installing/modding a 75mm for a 347 on an Explorer with an elbow and they didn't want to be a part of you wasting your time and money. If you asked for a 65mm with an ex linkage, I'm sure they would oblige (at a cost).

Again, check out Maxbore.com. For the engine, buy your parts used whenever possible.

Just my opinion.

i will toss my 2 cents in. make your own elbow. the cost of having someone extrude hone one will cost way more then making one, and it will be smoother in the end.

this is how i did mine supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

as for modifying the throttle body, here is a funny story about what accufab told you, and what happen with me. i bought mine from american muscle in pa. i was there for all ford nationals a few summers ago (and also visiting some friends there who are members on the forum here). one of them lived 20 mins from american muscle so i went right to their office and bought it directly from them. while i was standing in the order office talking to the guy that was making the order up for me, i asked him if it will work on a explorer because that was what it was going on to (while haft the office saw me drive up in it, and ran outside to look at it lol). i has said that i might have to modify the linkage for it. when i said that he put a smile on his face (he was a funny guy and we both were joking around with each other) and said "and here is where i advise you about our disclaimer about modifying our parts....." and in a funny way, but also serious way told me they accept no responsibility and no warranty if i screw with it.
with that said, here is how i modified mine supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

Well, that sucks. Figured since they hand built each one they could easily weld the linkage arm on backward when assembling, which is basically the difference between mustang and explorer TB's (as you know).

Either way, I hope it all works out for you redavis whichever way you decide.

Cool pictures boomin, I'll see what my extensions measure. I'd bet the porting of the middle section of my elbow is under 70mm for sure. The ends are just barely over 70mm now, I was planning to make them match a 75mm TB. But for just a 306, I think it'll be good as it is, and a 70mm TB.

Subscribed and watching with intense interest....

Again, check out Maxbore.com.

Thanks for the lead, Centaurus5.0!

That looks interesting; if time permits and I can come up with the resources, this would definitely be an option; thanks so much for sharing the link and writeup, and for your generous offer earlier, Vroomzoomboom.

Here's the best pic of how wide the center is ported

That, boominXplorer....is a work of art that only the few that have struggled can appreciate; how did you know how much was not too much, and keep from breaking through? Your example is definitely an option - I'm still waiting for word from Bob at Extrude hone for pricing info; however, I have a feeling it is going to be through the roof...and, like many of you have said, and obviously so, the performance potential of fabricating a larger one would far exceed anything that the stock part could offer...if I can put together the labor resources (such as a good welder that would be willing and able to do it).

I had used a professional products typhoon intake with this elbow

Turdle, thanks for the option; I've also looked at some of those edelbrock ones, but, unlike the one you reference, I don't think they come with EGR.

I know i'm preaching to the choir here, but on a project like this with so many problems to solve, it becomes a question of what to give priority to, and the time available; the problem is especially compounded when the goal is increased performance, and so many potential bottlenecks arise. You are left wondering which should come first; for example, doing something with the stock airbox. The easy route is just shove a conical filter in there and plumb it in to the new, larger maf housing; however, now you've just done away with the cold air induction that the factory put in there...so, do you find a V10 airhorn to graft onto the stock airbox, along with opening up where the stock maf resided and running a hose, or spend a week fabricating something better? The throttle body issue comes to mind as well; I know there must be someone out there who has done at least several linkage conversions, and knows the streamlined way to do it; and if I could find them, they probably would have no problem with me sending them the new accufab unit and a 65 mm Explorer donor TB to perform the surgery for a small fee....ditto for the elbow issue...Of course, any of us that have been in the game long enough know two things for sure: 1) a good fabricator is never around when you need one (unless you look in the mirror and, in my case, are willing to take the word "good" out of the equation), and 2) time is the enemy of projects like these - the longer it drags out, the greater the odds are that it never gets done.

.....Ok, back on topic, excuse me for venting. I appreciate so much all of you guys that are contributing on the thread here; and, I'm thankful for all of your ideas - I hope to be able to utilize them. Right now, I've got pretty much everything standing by except for these few hurdles concerning the intake path; but, I knew going into it that challenges like these invariably arise. For the time being, I may be forced to get it up and running in a less-than-ideal configuration; for example, I think I'd be foolish to cut up my only 65mm throttle body when I know the combination worked before...as some of you guys may know, I built this thing back in 2009 for my daughter, and the divorce followed soon after (coincidence?), followed by seven years of estrangement. Even with 19 lb injectors, the stock NRT1 pcm, redneck ex-wife boyfriends, and a minimum of care, they still drove it for 20,000 miles (destroying a Luk heavy duty clutch in the first 10,000), before leaving it to rot in the woods when the tires got bald. With that said, I know the basic project was successful, it just needed to be idealized.

If you guys have other suggestions/ideas, I appreciate hearing them; and, I will keep you posted on the progress - I'm hoping by December to have it running, but you never know; a general rule of thumb for me has always been to figure my worst case scenarios of time and money on projects like these, and then triple them; if I can come to grips with the sacrifices and still want to take them on, I might have a chance at success, otherwise, I've learned to not even start!

That, boominXplorer....is a work of art that only the few that have struggled can appreciate; how did you know how much was not too much, and keep from breaking through? Your example is definitely an option - I'm still waiting for word from Bob at Extrude hone for pricing info; however, I have a feeling it is going to be through the roof...and, like many of you have said, and obviously so, the performance potential of fabricating a larger one would far exceed anything that the stock part could offer...if I can put together the labor resources (such as a good welder that would be willing and able to do it).

I made a tool to be able to tell how thick the walls were and just kept digging. The thin spots are probably around 1/8 to 3/16 thick. Probably have 8 hours in that elbow.

that was the thread i used when i was doing mine. i dont like the welding part however for 2 reasons. first one, if you screw up and dont get it in the right spot, your eff'd. second one, if you ever want to pull it off and sell it, your only going to be able to sell it to a 5L explorer owner and not a mustang owner. the 5L explorers are going down in numbers, where the 5L mustangs havent gone down a whole lot

Yep.

Like I said watching and trying to give options.

I intend on using your idea and doing the same thing to mine after I get the second kid out of college an into med school...

Thanks shucker1; I had looked it over, but at the time still had quite a learning curve ahead of me, so I'll go through it again. Also, I had decided to create another thread since that one had some age on it, and I wondered if there had been any new knowledge since then. I will keep you guys posted on how things develop; the accufab is supposed to be in over the next few days. From the looks of it, finding the harness-side connector for the original mustang TPS may be about impossible; but, it may run a pigtail? if so, maybe I can wire in a male/female weatherpack or similar and make it work.

You can buy most vehicle connectors now(the pigtail), and from many parts stores. I'd bet the TPS connector is easy to get, ask for one from an 88-93 V8 Mustang.

Back