75w145 synthetic gear oil in the front diff | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

75w145 synthetic gear oil in the front diff

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
i'm just wondering why/if it would make any difference if i put 75w140 synthetic gear oil in the front diff on my AWD? i know the owner's manual calls for 80w90 regular hypoid, but i don't see where it would hurt to use the 75w140.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Won't hurt, I'd suggest it. Oil does cost more though...

Won't hurt, I'd suggest it. Oil does cost more though...

yeah it is more expensive, but when i changed my front axle seals i assumed the front diff would take the same stuff as the rear, so that's what i put in.

I have it in Mobil 1 in my mounty also in my v8 sports rear, so far they have been fine oh I also put the same in the 97 xlt front and back

It will decrease slightly the gas mileage, but probably it will protect better the components.

Thought I read somewhere that Ford had back-spec'd 75W-140 for the front for severe-duty usage . . . I'm running a mix of 80W-90 and 75W-140 up front (to finish off the quart).

75W-140 syn is a good choice for both front and rear diffs.

Front diffs transmit less torque than the rears, that's why
the gear oil specs might be lower for the front.

It will decrease slightly the gas mileage, but probably it will protect better the components.

Yes, less MPG and axle will run hotter. That's all

Back