79 Mustang, new daily driver? | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

79 Mustang, new daily driver?

0706101511.jpg

for some reason, I can't seem to get a lot done on this. But she's ready for a cleaning minus the front control arms. I soaked 'em with Penetrating oil, but I was only able to get one bolt loose with the impact gun. I hit them with more oil, and will once again tomorrow morning.

I took a good look at what its gonna take to get the transmission out of there, and I don't think I want to tackle it :( its mostly the exhaust thats deterring me, but I don't see how I'm able to get at the flange bolts without unbolting the engine and removing the turbo. I really just need to get this finished and back on the ground as I have other responsibilities I need to attend to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the driver's side fender appears to be the same set of boost switches used on the Legend Industries converted Fiat Spider. What they do on a carbed turbo Mustang I don't know.

LI used these same sort of switches to trick the coolant sensor into thinking the car was running colder than it was by adding resistance. One kicked in around 1 lb then another around 3lbs then another one around 5 lbs. One was used as an overboost switch.

cool info! according to my 79 service manual, those are the boost/overboost system switches.

I have the transmission out!!! it took me a few hours, but its much worth it! I pulled out the clutch I bought for it, and they gave me the wrong one. the replacement has MANY more splines than the original/tranny. so I assume its for a T5 mustang. GRRR! oh well, I called up my friend that works the parts counter and hes gonna get me taken care of :)

for now, The Great Cleansing begins!!

Looking Good Alec! I have been one of the lurkers on this thread. I started working at a Ford dealer in 1976, and worked on them new.
Keep up the good work!:thumbsup:

i just spent the last to hours going from page 1-13. youve done an awesome job man! congrates!

Looking good!

You need to borrow or rent a pressure washer, get the 2.5 gallon jug of Purple Power, put on a wet suit and lay on the ground and get after the bottom of the car.

YYes you and the ground are gonna get super dirty and nasty but the end result will be stellar!!!

Jeff

I'm also hoping you didn't get water down the tailshaft of the tanny.

i envy you alec. the capri has been shelved since dec. the only thing that has happened to it is the parts hunt has a few things crossed off it.

I was very careful while cleaning the tranny. while doing the tailshaft I didn't rinse it with the hose, just wiped it clean with the sponge. I cleaned the bottom of it in that position, and then put it right-side-up for the remainder of the cleaning. if I got water in it, its not sitting for very long and it will get fresh fluid before it goes back in.

I have a pressure washer! I didn't think of that!

and Tim, if you have free time and/or a social life, don't be too envious ;)

chezoom, thanks for the positive feedback! This thread really only exsists cuz i'm starved for attention. thank you for satiating the appetite :D

oh, and my grandpa has tried to convince me to coat the underside with bedliner :crazy: his logic is: a renowned show car builder was using it on his concourse restoration. although it may protect better than the chassis paint, I think it'll look like crap! It will never stay clean without the purple power, and even clean it wont look nice. also, I'm short of extra money and I already have the chassis paint. I'm resolute in my decision. Id like to hear your opinion on this Jeff, just to hear another perspective.

Hey Lacky01, its looking good! I wouldn't have put the transmission upside down on concrete, however. I would be worried about damaging the lip of the bell housing.

Well, since the transmission is aluminum, it can be damaged fairly easy. However, I doubt setting it on concrete will ruin it, I just wanted you to be aware. Stick a piece of card board under the bell housing when you set it upright and you should be ok.

cool beans, thanks for the tip. I guess these Bellhousings are hard to get a hold of, so taking care of what I have is going to be the best way to go. :)

she cleaned up nice

:D

well that was a lot of work!

pressure washer and purple power, busted it out in 4-5 hours. I just need to treat the rust and paint. I expect that will happen next tuesday.

To show you guys how much I appreciate you following the thread and all of the help you've shown, I didn't use a cell phone to nab these pics :)

Pitchers:

809c2064.jpg

3e03513d.jpg

963a4061.jpg

43e728b3.jpg

5dff6ae3.jpg

96deeba0.jpg

1f3dcf28.jpg

2163f2c9.jpg

daa34914.jpg

667371cc.jpg

e8a44768.jpg

ac3c009b.jpg

b5199d97.jpg

up in the cowling:
2b6b4fd8.jpg

14850ca2.jpg

drivers door:
2febb722.jpg

61669f1e.jpg

7e3f87f5.jpg

0f8273b9.jpg

e8961b43.jpg

348c39eb.jpg

dd067562.jpg

my current desktop:
36b56b9b.jpg

dfe12d16.jpg

It's a very nice 'stang. It just needed someone like you to come along and take care of it.

that is in pretty good shape. i will say this, find a way to treat the cowl area. a mouse nest got into mine leaving me with a nice hole the size of my fist. its no fun changing, or patching that part of the car!

GREAT WORK!!! :D:thumbsup:

so I've gotten a LOT painted the last few days. the whole underside is done. all of the suspension components are done and will be bolted in soon. I still need to paint the driveshaft, gas tank, rearend and rear swaybar. after that its just assembly and set it back on the ground.

after the underside is done, my Dad and I are gonna pull the engine and do the bay. It'll get the same black as the underside. It's not gonna be a super nice finish, but it will all be one color and it wont rust :^) we should be able to get it done in a three day sprint.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the tranny and new clutch are in, along with all of the control arms. I'll have the rearend painted and hopefully in by the end of tomorrow. I also need to get the gas tank, driveshaft,and rear swaybar painted tomorrow as well. I'd like the whole rear suspension in and on the ground. I still need to get a hold of a good spring compressor so I can get the front put together.

I'm super happy with the progress :^)

Back