79 Mustang, new daily driver? | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

79 Mustang, new daily driver?

I'll have to give that a shot. I haven't been able to look for a better compressor yet. I didn't get much accomplished today. the rearend is all snug and tight. I still need to hook up the e-brake cables, and tighten the brake line, and install the gas tank driveshaft and swaybar.

once the rearend is on the ground I might feel more motivated to get that front end put together. I don't have much enthusiasm at this point. I have WAY too much going on in my life, so this has to take a backseat.

priorities :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have some ACTUAL progress to add to the thread:
0118101955.jpg

It's nice to see someone taking an interest in these old girls. They are the forgotten Mustangs. Looks to me like you have your centre caps on wrong. They should have a crown to them, not indented like yours are. You need to push them onto the wheels by the outside edge, not in the middle.

Here is my '79 Mustang. She's an original, numbers matching V8, 4spd, TRX car. Bought by me in Feb 1991. This picture is from the summer of '92. It's time for paint again, hopefully this winter. Also have an '86 4cyl notchback.

Attachments

• 79mustang.jpg
    79mustang.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 409

Be extremely careful with the blackout trim that is on the door edge and below the quarter window. It is worth it's weight in gold. The trim below the quarter window bolts on from inside the car. You have to take the interior trim out to access it. It DOES NOT pop out like the trim on the door. If you try that you will destroy it and believe me, it is just about the hardest trim piece to find on these cars.

thanks for the help paul! I haven't pulled any of those pieces off mainly cuz i'm unsure how to get them off. that and I REALLY don't have the time to take care of the mess I'm going to find.

Well the car is closer to getting back on the ground. My Dad and I were able to get the front springs on. we ended up ditching the compressor and tried the trick of leaving the spindle/strut attached to the ball joint and unbolting the control arm from the K-member. we lowered it down, stuck the spring in it and jacked it up into place. It was extremely scary and took my dad sitting on the car to get the control arm all the way up into place. but we have it all together now so no worries. I have the front rotors on, I just need to install calipers, hook up the e-brake, and install the drive-shaft. then it gets a bath, touchup paint underneath where I obviously installed stuff, and the front clip goes on. then the poor thing gets put into storage till I'm done with college :(

this car is crazy close to standing on its own feet! I just need to hang the front clip and then wheels and tires! I ran out of energy today as Im not feeling well, but within the next week or so it should be stored nice and safe for when I have time and money to finish. :D

been a while since I've been able to do anything with Lola. It's been on its wheels since september, but I never got the exhaust hung and therefore couldn't get the engine winterized. Today me and my little brother finished installing the exhaust, and ran it long enough to get fuel stabilizer in the carb. It fired right up after the bowl got some gas in it! I was suprised. we were having uber difficulties getting to one of the flange bolts on the turbo downpipe. I could barely get a socket on it, and was unable to get it as tight as is should be. theres a HORRIBLE exhaust leak there, and smoke was pouring out. we were only able to run it for about thirty seconds due to the smoke and fumes. I will address that when I get back to the project, after I finish school. for the last month or so I had been feeling very discouraged by this project. I'd been feeling like It was pointless, and there wasn't any use in finishing. I was debating in my mind whether I wanted to give it back to my Grandpa, sell it, or put in a more reliable engine. but today, the weather was suprisingly good. I wasn't planning on working on it today, but the opportunity simply presented itself. I convinced my brother to help me get stuff done. I needed the moral support and en extra pair of hands, and I need to get him excited about stuff like this. him and his video games :rolleyes: when I was his age I would have LOVED to work on a car with an older brother. anywhoo, we cleaned up the work area and put air in the one leaky tire. as always every piece we worked with fought us all the way. nothing has been easy, and everything has been a learning experience so far. we were having trouble with said flange bolt, so I ran up to the hardware store for a better socket. whilst there I said hi to Billy, one of the employees there. "what are ya workin' on today?" He says. I tell him what I'm up to, and remind him what car I'm working on as I've told him about it a couple times before. His eyes lit up and we swapped stories about friends' foxbody mustangs and such. This reminded me why I started this project. This reminded me why I shouldn't give up on it. It may be going into hibernation now, but when I'm ready she'll be transformed into the classic beauty she once was.

tomorrow she gets put into storage. A part of me is looking forward to it, as it will be a bit of responsibility taken care of and a little less to worry about. another part of me is waiting anxiously waiting the day I get to pull her out, and pick up where I left off.

another part of me is waiting anxiously waiting the day I get to pull her out, and pick up where I left off.

i know what you mean. the capri has sat now for almost a year. it is driving me nuts not being able to do anything on it, but it will get done! don't be discouraged either. remember, all of us get that once in awhile. that means its a challenge. if it was easy, everyone would be doing it, and everyone would have the same stuff!

i know what you mean. the capri has sat now for almost a year. it is driving me nuts not being able to do anything on it, but it will get done! don't be discouraged either. remember, all of us get that once in awhile. that means its a challenge. if it was easy, everyone would be doing it, and everyone would have the same stuff!

Thanks Tim, and the good thing about it sitting for a while is I REALLY have the modification bug! So I'm going to vent my apt for change through my explorer. :D I don't mind screwing up my explorer, its not worth anything.

sucks about your '89!

I wish I had an update for this thread! I've been in school for the past couple years to be a commercial pilot. after I get my career going and get some sort of a garage, I'll start this project up again. I could either throw it together now, or build it up right later.

sucks about your '89!

I wish I had an update for this thread! I've been in school for the past couple years to be a commercial pilot. after I get my career going and get some sort of a garage, I'll start this project up again. I could either throw it together now, or build it up right later.

I fully understand. I was just so intrigued last night that I was hoping that it was finished and I could see some pics.

Good luck with your schooling.

Thank you!

I'll be sure to bump this bad boy to the top as soon as I start work on it again. I read through the thread again, and now I'm all jazzed up to start on it!!

The thread does suck you in!

I'm with Rondo, Just spent the better part of two hours reading this and joined the forum to keep track of it. As a turboford enthusiast in the Northwest I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

Also, FYI, I spotted a 79 Turbo Mustang in a local yard a couple weeks ago that is in restorable condition and is all but totally complete, I can't get it but I'll happily help someone else rescue it.

Phew two hours is an understatement. I think I'm pushing three. I've never liked the fox bodies but I love restorations. This thread is very informative. Now I know that if i ever come across a 2.3 litre with a turbo. I'll be sure to look for a ton of vacuum lines. Once I see that I'll surely look for rust and if I have the money I'll try and save it then let you guys know. Like I said fox bodies aren't my passion and I forget whose it was but that 70-80 flareside looked amazing.

Back