8.8 28 to 31 spline 5 on 4.5 to 6 on 5.5 got a question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

8.8 28 to 31 spline 5 on 4.5 to 6 on 5.5 got a question.

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
So my ranger has a 28 spline 8.8 rear axle with drum brakes. I am planning on swapping a dana 44 into the front but it is a 6 lug bolt pattern. So I need to figure out how to change all the lug patterns and make it work. Here is my plan tell me where i may or may not be wrong and if you can answer a few questions I have all the better.

I am planning on using my stock housing. I am thinking of ordering custom axle shafts such as superior, moser, or someone else and have them put the 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern I need on them and then make them 31 spline shafts aswell. Get an open diff 31 spline carrier and weld it up. Now I have 31 spline alloy axles (much stronger then stock) and have the bolt pattern I need to match the front. I also wont have to run anytype of wheel spacer in the rear.

My question is what do I do for my brake drums. Can I have them redrilled by a machine shop to accept the new 6 lug pattern? If I cant do that I could swap over to disk brakes but then I loose my e-brake and add alot more to the cost of the project. Anyone have any other suggestions or ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

I know dutchman has made a few 5x5.5 8.8 axle shafts for guys on here, so they should be able to do 6x5.5. Should be able to just drill out the drum. As for upping to 31 spline, why don't you run a full spool or mini-spool in the rear, rather than welding up a new open carrier?

he could always put your e-brake on your driveshaft :rolleyes:

My dad did this for his zuki when switched to discs in the rear.

When I had dutchman do the 5x5.5 pattern axle shafts, I also ordered the disk brake kit from them, which is exactly the same components for 95+ explorer's.

They drilled the rotors for me too, and if I remember correctly, for no extra charge.

That kit does have a parking brake.

You can also drill out the drum brakes; it will just take time, and you have to get them close, but not perfect since it doesn't use the lugs to locate the drum.

jefe-
If i get a minispool I still have to get a new carrier as I already welded my spider gears to the carrier. Plus welding it is cheaper then a spool :D

Stic-o
As far as I know no one makes a kit to mount an ebrake on the back of a ranger tcase. Might be something to try out down the road though

tom

If I end up going this route I might just try drilling out the drum. I forgot that the axleshaft locates the drum and not the lugs. I should probably beable to get it close enough on my drill press at home. I am thinking I like this idea the best as it will probably be the cheapest and stogest way to get matching lug patterns.

Thanks for the info guys

Back