• Register Today It's free!

8.8" Mini Spool

Snafu996

Reaction score
City, State
Pismo Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 2WD
I just ordered a mini spool for my ex (8.8 31 spline), and they told me that I am going to need a c-clip eliminator. What is that? is it necessary? and where can I get one? Has anyone installed on of these spools (I think its Aubern)?

A spool is a solid connector between the axle shafts and ring gear. They have absolutely no provision for access into the center, where you would have to get to in order to install the c-clips. A mini-spool is a small version that fits inside the existing carrier, but the access issue is still there. You need to retain the axle shafts on the outboard end, thus the need for the C-clip eliminator kit. Not doing so could lead to the axle, wheel, and tire walking out on you at an inconvenient time...

Wow, thanks for the info, very helpful.

So where can I get one of these C-Clip eliminator kits?

A number of places sell them. FRPP is one. Be advised, though, that c-clip eliminators are often NOT recommended for applications that put high side-loads on the rear end. Road racing, for example, is one area that you wouldn't want to use it. I've been told that rock climbing is another, but I don't really know...

Back