Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters

-=DaemoN=-

Reaction score
City, State
The Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
Rigless!
I need your suggestions. Should I keep my 8.8 and get a detroit for it or go for a 9(w/ detroit) to match my HPD44? I wanna regear to 5.13's also, that's why I thought of swapping in a 9 and sell the 8.8. Which one would be less expensive?

My project won't happen till next year after I get back from vacation.:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the 8.8is a great rearend. I would just order the necessary axles to covert to the new bolt circle.
The 9" is of course an upgrade, but why? The 8.8 can handle it, it's already in there, and you dont have to do anyhting to it. The 9" would require setting the pinion angle, welding up spring perch's, etc.....

I say run the 8.8.

I would say 9... Just because it's more beefy and the upgrades you can get for it are way better then the 8.8. :) You can go to 33 spline or 35, or even 40 spline axles. Then you don't have to waste time converting your rear end to 5 on 5.5". Instead you can sell it for a few hundred to someone who needs one. :)

i agree with everything rpenner54 said. as a owner of a 9" (early bronco) and a 8.8 (explorer) is say go with the 9. so many more upgrades available. stock 5on5.5 bolt pattern. sell the 8.8 to support the 9" buildup...

i agree the 9' is just plain better, more upgrades, bigger after market more sold, more in juk yard and way more parts available. oh and that stonger thing, would you rather be stuck on the trail with a broken rig or spena weekend converting. not to mention the cool factor!!

Back