• Register Today It's free!

8.8 Re-gear (help with pattern)

KPSquared

Reaction score
City, State
Wetaskiwin, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer
I am into my first re-gear and seem to be running into a problem. This might not be a problem but I have never done this before so I thought I'd ask in case I was missing something. I have pushed the pinion to deep and had it to far away. Those patterns I recognize, but the last time, it seems like one side of the gear tooth shows to shallow and one side shows to deep. I will just keep adjusting and see if I can fix it but if there is a simple solution. I'll post pics of the most recent pattern and if someone could tell me if I'm reading it wrong, PLEASE DO!!!

It's a Ford 8.8 from a 1996 Ford Explorer. Moving from 3.53 to 4.88. less than .001" runout, I keep the backlash in spec everytime I adjust the pinion.

Here's a couple pics.

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you getting that pattern around the entire ring gear, or only in one section?

If you haven't already done so, check the pattern on 2 or 3 other areas of the gear.

The drive-side pattern (the bottom picture) looks OK - not ideal in the instruction-manual sort of way, but not a bad pattern. If I remember correctly, mine ended up something like that, and it now has 140K miles on it.

Those patterns look pretty good, maybe move the pinion out .002 -.003" and try once more and if the pattern gets better on one side and doesn't change much on the other that may be better than what you have. But you are getting very close to where you need to be.

On used gears, I think you set to the coast side to prevent whine. So, if the your coast side is off on new gears, it might do the same. But I am not sure about that.

I know I am close, I think I'll try and drop the pinion a little more (remove shims) and see what happens. I just was confused when it looked high on one side and to low on the other.

Scott B. - The pattern is the same in a couple other places. I'll keep trying... I mean, I have to get it eventually, right? I'm not in a huge hurry, and I may as well get this right 'cause I don't need to wreck these and have to get another set. I still got the front to do anyway.

Hoping to have this truck up and running by Oct. 3rd. It's hard to do gears when you only have an hour here and there to work. Takes me half the time just to get my tools out and everything set up again...

The only thing I can think for being high on one side and low on the other is the ring gear sticking out on one side - maybe check for burrs on the backside of the hole and front side of the tapped hole. Other than that, the patterns look very close to me.

The only thing I can think for being high on one side and low on the other is the ring gear sticking out on one side - maybe check for burrs on the backside of the hole and front side of the tapped hole. Other than that, the patterns look very close to me.

If the ring gear was sticking out on one side, wouldn't that show up when I check the runout? It was less than .001" Pretty straight.

Back