• Register Today It's free!

8.8 spool???

n16ht5

Reaction score
City, State
seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 Bronco2
ok Im swappin in a posi 8.8 31 spline into my b2. i want to get a spool for it or weld it or something (never seen posi guts before).. can i spool it? or weld it?? :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well you could definately full spool it as this would replace the whole carrier. I dont see why you couldnt weld it never welded a lsd before but the idea is to weld the spider gears and you should still be able to do that.

i dotn think you can weld a posi because it doesnt have spider gears in it, uses some wierd clutch thingy inside, and not gears in it like a regular open diff with spiders

jimabena74 said:
i dotn think you can weld a posi because it doesnt have spider gears in it, uses some wierd clutch thingy inside, and not gears in it like a regular open diff with spiders

:rolleyes: A limited slip has spyder gears in it just like an open diff. Between the back of the side gears and the case are where the clutch packs go to make it a limited slip. You could probably weld up a limited slip but they are known to be a bit weaker of a carrier. I welded up my 8.8 open diff and love it.

RockRanger said:
:rolleyes: A limited slip has spyder gears in it just like an open diff. Between the back of the side gears and the case are where the clutch packs go to make it a limited slip. You could probably weld up a limited slip but they are known to be a bit weaker of a carrier. I welded up my 8.8 open diff and love it.

ok. could i redo the clutches super tight so it would be like a super posi???

I have heard of people doing it but never have personally. I have always ran a locker or a welded diff. Hopefully some one else can chime in about shimming a L/S to make it tighter.

n16ht5 said:
ok. could i redo the clutches super tight so it would be like a super posi???
If you were wanting a spool or welded diff before, seems like you would be seriously disappointed with a posi, no matter how tight it was.

tight is good :D

yeah, haven't done this yet, but I plan to over pack the clutches a bit and make it a little tighter, I'd try that out and if that doesn't work get an open diff and weld/spool/toss a lunchbox locker in it.

i know that overshimming the clutches on a nissan LSD makes it almost spool like. Tires will churp when turning on dry pavement. Im sure you could overclutch the tracloc to do the same. :thumbsup:

how woud you go about doing this? Where do I get the shims and cluches? I think I would like to try this.

Ryan

I don't know if this is a problem for you guys with the type of wheeling you do, but over-shimming the traction-lok still leaves you with a c-clip rear-end.

Back