8 or 4 guage power wires to run amp? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

8 or 4 guage power wires to run amp?

The fastest way to break in a sub is to play it free air for a few hours on a certain tone. But yes..you can played it at moderate volume for a couple weeks...which will break it in nicely.

As for the cap...you should REALLY upgrade the wiring under your hood. This will help with the dimming more than the cap will(because once again...a cap is just another draw on the alt.).

1)replace/add another wire from alternator to battery +
2)Engine block to chassis
3)battery - to chassis

This is often referred to as the Magic 3...or big 3.
It has shown good results when it comes to helping with dimming lights. Also...you might get your alternator rewound or find a replacement(higher amp rating).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry I'm taking this post off subject

Ok fellas and gals it happen tonite a WHOLE YEAR wait for this beastly 18" Stroker and its in. WOW all i can say. I let it sit out in the driveway and garage for about 5 hours just playing songs with no gain on amp turned up, subsonic was at i beileve 75, and the bass knob was at 0. Mind you the car was on whole time. That 200 amp altenator got a run for its money! I didnt have fan(s) on the 1500.1 amp at first and after 20 minutes it was very very hot! I put 2 huge comptuer fans on over them and that solved that problem. My 100.2 amp needs one cause its running hot also. The break in period on this sub is 25 hours. So after about 3 hours into the 5 i pop in some project pat Holy **** was that bass tight (not sloppy like i read in alot of reviews and thought it would be) I than turned the bass knob to 1/4 and the gain 1/4 and **** the hair on my arms stood up my stomach started to churn and the roof just expanded. Than i turned the bass knob to half way and one of my friends jumped out of the car and just hurled all over my grass. WoW i have alot to look foward too :) This right now is louder than 2 jl audio w6s off a kicker 1200.1 blows it out of the water. I know my Stroker is not the best ever made but for me it is all i have execpted and more. I warn you this sub is not for the weak hearted if you do NOT like bass this sub is not for you. The reason i am going to put on the capicitor is cause i have it and well its just sitting out there. I also am going to put a everstart el cheapo 530 cranking amps for the 1500.1 to play with. We will see but all i can say is damn I know this is loud and i cant wait to compete!!!! Oh yea i will be posting pics hopefully sometime this week and get some video footage up on the net of the beast in action. Damn i wish i had that digi cam or camcorder when my friend lost it that would of been priceless;)

Forgot to mention i have a upgrade altenator and also there is no dimming at all it just cant hurt to add it. BTW what exactly does the subsonic filter do? Mine can go all the way to 250hz it was at 75hz like i mentioned. Also i have a subsonic filter switch that i had off should i have this on? I love that remote punch bass extra bass at a turn of the dial:eek:

The subsonic filter does exactly what it says...it filters out the unwanted frequencies(the very low frequencies)
since mosts subs can't play very far below 24 hz...24 should be the minimum. I am not sure about your stroker...but I would say set it no lower than 25 hz...no higher than 35hz...its up to you(im not sure what your box is tuned to, when frequencies the sub can't play)

If you had the switch off...the subsonic filter wasn't even on.

Set it to around 25 Hz...then turn on the filter.

ok read manuals and the 50,75,100,125,150,175,200,225,and 250.. is a variable crossover any clue what that should be at? I had it at 75. I turned the subsonic filter on im not going to play it now to late dont want to piss off anyone. My box is tuned to 38hz and has (2) 4" 7 1/2" long ports.

Yes...for the crossover...75 is a pretty good setting.

Now on your amp for your mids and highs set this at 75 as well(high pass) . If you don't have another amp don't worry about it.

If you have a strong midbass section(really strong) you could set your crossover at 50...but thats pushing it. If you have a weak midbass section(and you do if you don't have another amp) you should probably set your crossover at 100

I have some Infinity 6 1/2 components running off a RF 100.2 which also has a internal crossover which is set at 180 and the Infinitys have a external crossover too. The infinitys are 90rm so they are pretty solid and sound good. I personally dont like the tweeters though to damn loud to me i just like the deep bass that rattles your insides. I think I have a good understanding of how to set up stuff did it all the wiring myself with a little help from friends and here on ideas and double checking if i did it right stuff like that. Thanks for your help bro anything else i need to worry about/consider? BTW my back windshield wiper rattles like a **** but that dynamat really really helps a ton my metal panels and outsides are so quiet! Anyone that is considering dyanmatting you heard it first the Stroker cant break thourgh it:cool:

If your tweeters are too bright...there might be a little pin inside of the crossover(to the infinitys) that you pull out to turn down the tweer 2db. I know mine does...not sure about the infinity's.

Nope nothing for the tweeter to turn down only something for the sub on crossover. I guess i will just have to live with it I have treble on them at 0 right now so its not killing me to bad, but the bass is ;)

Back