8 years ago today... | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

8 years ago today...

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
On this morning 8 years ago I was woken out of a sound sleep by a phone call from my friend Chris. Chris said "Have you seen it? Did you see that a plane crashed into the World Trade Center?" I said no I hadn't and immediately turned on the TV. Within a minute or so of turning on the television the other plane struck right before our eyes. Chris is a big guy. Over 6 foot, probably 250 lbs and a native born New Yorker. When the second plane hit Chris broke down in tears. The feeling of that moment was like nothing I have ever experienced before or since.

I hope we never experience anything like that again. Unfortunately it won't be easy to prevent a single nut case, or a small group of fanatics from carrying out another horrific attack. It was 8 years between the first attack on the WTC and 9/11. It's now been 8 years since 9/11... Scary for sure... bin Laden said: "We love death. The US loves life." How can you ever be safe from fanatics like that?

======================

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Blee1099

Evil Asian
Moderator Emeritus
EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Elkridge, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
Yea how many of us remember where we were on 9/11/01?

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
I think we all do - its the "Pearl Harbor" of the recent generations.

I was still in college -- I had just woken up and was on my computer when one of my room mates called me into the living room. I remember it was a bright morning in upstate New York with clear skies. My aunt in Maryland, not knowing that Rochester is 300 hundred miles from NYC, called me in fear thinking I was in danger.

techieman33

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Topeka, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 V8 Mountaineer
I was in school, geometry class to be precise. It was near the end of the class and everyones phones started ringing, and the principal made a weird anouncement and sent everyone to their home room 15 minutes early. Once we got there we found out what was going on and sat there for the next hour watching what was going on on tv. And then did the same for most classes the rest of the day.

unclemeat

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
I remember and it still makes me want to cry on the inside. I see the flags at half mast today and I am still sad.

The best memory I will keep from that day was trying to go to the blood bank to donate and not being able to get near the place. The other memory is from driving on an town beltway. The cross streets are all elevated bridges with fences. Someone had tied American flags to the fences on both sides on every bridge.

Long live America, death to our enemies! I will never forget.

Ronin8002

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT Ironman
bin Laden said: "We love death. The US loves life." How can you ever be safe from fanatics like that?

======================

I guess we just have to rely on our troops in Afghanistan to keep giving them what they love then.

I still find the 9/11 footage hard to watch. When I do watch it, however, it gives me renewed clarity as to why it is necessary that we be as involved as we are across the globe.

The other day I was driving by the Pentagon and it struck me how surreal it was being at the site of one of the attacks. I find it simultaneously sad and infuriating how a group of people could think it's right to crash a plane of innocent people into a building just to make a statement.

cybergasm

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer 5.0

Let see if memory serves.......

I woke up that Morning in Bucksville Alabama and thought to myself just another day in the neighborhood. Got Dressed headed inside the truckstop and saw everyone is side huddled around the TV in the main hallway. I saw what was on the TV and was like WTF? could not believe what i saw spent the rest of the day listening to it on Satelite Radio and reading the Papers the next day :(

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
I was at work, and the radio had made an announcement about the first plane. We all stopped working to listen. I rounded up every construction worker on the job, and we all listened for hours in complete silence. Nobody knew what to say. What was said cant be said here. We shut the job down, and went home to make our phone calls, and see it on T.V. I can remember exactly what I was doing at the time. I felt numb for a long time, just thinking of all those people and their families. I couldn't help but feel anger over this for quite some time. The kids were scared, afraid to go to school even. It was hard to explain to a child what I didn't understand to begin with.

Terrible day in our past, gone but not forgotten.

LBarr2002

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Leesville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT 4x4, '92 XLT 4x4
I was in a residential high school, just gotten out of the shower, and a guy that lived down the hall busted in saying New York had been bombed... He got it a little wrong, but we spent all day in one of the lounges watching the news, classes were all cancelled.

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
At work, all of us ended up around the TV for the rest of the day.

Thank God for our servicemen and women... :salute:

Sams01XplrSprt

Southern Cali Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport (sold)
I was still in bed sleeping when it happend but it was my friend jim's b-day on that day his b-day is on 9-11

crazyflights

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St. Joseph, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 1 ton Jeep
I was in college at my apartment and heard it on radio and then starting watching about it on TV, went to school but not much happened that day. I remember not knowing quite what to think and feeling empty inside.

TheJackal

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Mandeville, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XL 2WD
I was a freshman in high school when it happened. I was taking a physical science test when the principal announced what was going on and that all classrooms were receiving the news via the TV system.

After finishing the test not much else got done that day; classes went on as usual but we watched the news all day long.

Jd0gg919

Reaction score
City, State
Willow Spring, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I was in fifth grade when it happened. I remember having to go back to our home rooms and getting released early. My mom and I then went and met with some people from church and watched the TV for the rest of the day. Very sad day in our history no doubt.

Scotty J.

Packin
Reaction score
City, State
Little Rock, Ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ford Ranger XLT
I was driving to work and the initial report was 1 plane had crashed into the trade center. Once I got to work the second one hit. I had the same confusion as the rest as everything unfolded. I remember leaving work that day, all flights had been canceled. I looked up and saw the contrail of a big jet knowing it either had to be military or AF1.

The next day as I was driving across the river bridge here, there was a guy standing on one of the buildings equal height with the interstate waving a HUGE flag. It may have been a normal sized flag, but at the moment it seemed HUGE. To this day, that's the emotion that I remember.

I remember being scared that day, we can't let it fade from our memory and become as relaxed as we were on 9-10-01, if we do, history very well may repeat itself.

Keep in mind all the victims not only in the Trade Centers and the Pentagon, but the souls that were on the planes as well.

mattbreaksthings

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
I was at home. because i got suspended 3 days for fighting in school. I remember my mom waking me up and and telling me what happened.
i saw the second plane hit on live tv. my mom started crying. I will never forget that day. I didn't personally know anyone killed but my moms coworker's only daughter was in the building when it collapsed.
it always puts me in a whole new state of mind when i think about that day.