'80-93 AOD build-up (Automatic Overdrive) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'80-93 AOD build-up (Automatic Overdrive)

FYI: '80-93 AOD Build-Up (Automatic Overdrive)

For Your Information: Anyone planning to use an AOD......(Ford's Fullsize Automatic Overdrive transmission) :redexp:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

While I have my 5.0 and AOD out of my truck. (to replace my 5.0 w/ spun bearings) I decided to have my transmission TORN down and "BEEFED" up!
To start, the AOD does have some WEAK points in its design. I decided to address these before I put it back in the truck. For Example, the Direct Clutch pack and the overdrive Band are common to fail.

SO here is what I am having the Transmission shop do to Beef it up:

1.) Beef up the Direct Clutch Packs from the original 4 or 5 to 7-8 (we'll see how many I can get on there)
"Because of its small diameter, the original direct clutch is a weak link in these transmissions " (ALTO Power Pack Heavy Duty.....Cost=$30.00

2.) Install an A+ Overdive Servo. (provides 11% more force than the "A" overdrive servo from a 5.0 T-bird Supercoupe) "The "A" servo is the largest overdrive servo available for the AOD transmission. This piece is used only with 1992 and 1993 trucks and the Thunderbird "Super Coupe" supercharged 3.8 Liter V-6. It will provide a 61% increase in band application force over the small "C" servo" Thus resulting in premature failure of the overdrive bad and decreased wear. It will also provide crisper OD shifts. Cost= $100.00 (A+ servo)

3.) Install Kevlar H.D. Overdrive BAND. (1.5inch) $31.00

In addition, I am installing a new soft part & seal kit, intermediate clutch kit & other additions.

Total PARTS Bill for my HEAVY DUTY PERFORMANCE REBUILD: $200.00
Total Labor Bill: $250.00

Who is Rebuilding it: FORD!!!!! I have a friend, who has a friend, who works at a FORD service center (as their main tranny rebuild guy) , and also rebuilds transmission on the side......which he isnt supposed to do, according to company policy. Anyway, he was willing to help me,especially after hearing about my wild conversion. In fact, Ford is so lax concerning rules.... he is even rebuilding my AOD at the main ford dealership......using all of Ford's tools!! :nono: :D

I have some good pictures showing the rebuild process.........I will try and get them up ASAP.

Feel free to ask questions......or tell me how crazy I am. :D

Al
.........someday.......I'll get my 5.0 explorer running.....

If you are going to all that trouble you might as well swap in the wide ratio gearset. Only makes sense to do it now so you don't have to tear it down again.

concerning the wide ratio gear set........that would be nice, but i am really not going to be using the truck for offroading or racing. With 3.73 gears, small tires, and a B&M Transpac valve body recalibration kit set for towing, I think I'm set, for what I'll be using it for...

:)

Al

Aod Tech tips

Here is a site that will answer all of your questions on an AOD build up. I already have the wide ratio AOD and am just waiting for the adapter output shaft. The 4R70W core I used for the wide ratio planetary and heavy duty clutches came from a '97 Crown Vic Police service vehicle. If you find a core you can use most of the internals, the only wear that usually occurs in the trannys is the clutches and the torque converter, the planetaries very rarely wear out because of there design. So find a core from your local Taxi company and make the build up cheap.

The wide ratio tranny has an even larger 2 inch clutch band for overdrive to do away with the small 1.5 inch overdrive band.

The wide ratio gear set will make the effective final drive equal 4.42:1 with my 3.73 rear gears and still give me great highway gearing with my 32" tires.

Back