84 2.8 with 33's

95offroadx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Palmyra, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
How will a 2.8 with a carb in a 84 b2 do with 4.56 gears and 33's?

The engine will be receiving a rebuild sometime down the road, with some performance goodies, but the truck rarely sees over 55mph.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd go 4.88 gears.

If he has the stock axels I don't think he can even get the 4.88s. To get that many teeth on that small ring gear would be tuff.

im going to be reusing my explorers axles, d35 n 8.8 wit 4.56/ls

so does swappin the 2bbl out for a 390cfm 4bbl really help the performance,what bout offroad on inclines n such?

the bronco is alot lighter then the explorer, so wont like 150whp really make this thing move?.i found quite a few performance parts for it n alot of people with around the 200hp mark

i think you'll be fine with 4.56. i ran my b2 with 33's and 3.45 gears for a couple years. takes a little more clutch to get going, but still has plenty of power. i wouldn't recommend my setup for a DD though. i'm switching to explorer axles with 3.73's that should help out a little.

my 2.8 has been bored out, duraspark conversion, a holley 2 barrel carb, and flowmaster exhaust. it will get up to 55 plenty fast enough for a lifted rig.

No. You'll hate wheeling with the 4 barrel. The secondaries will fill up and it will start to flood...

Do a duraspark conversion and look for a 1.08 venturi ford 2 barrel to use.

Back