Year, Model & Trim Level
Carb not getting sufficient gas

recently replaced mechanical fuel pump

Thought bad line was letting in air

replaced line from pump on back

threw the line into a gas can in bed to get er home, ran great

switched to the last remaining original line to tank and it would not run

pulled back bed to look for obvious leak in remaining line, see none

can this sending unit be withdrawn without dropping the tank? (its the 4x4 long tank

occaisionally getting debris in filter which looks like fine iron fileings

I am ready to go back to a bed mounted tank

Hi and welcome to the forum. It almost sounds like the fuel line is plugged somewhere.

thank you Fixxxer and Ranger x, I appreciate your replies.

When the rain slows down i will be trying to run it for a while with the known "good" line to charge up the battery then switching to the final piece of 'new" line back to the tank. the last piece i will be replacing is rubber, then, through the frame, it is what feels to be plastic. If this does not get it running, i might be bolting the bed back on, re- deploying my gas can in the bed set up and running it to the local garageman cause i have an irrational fear of gas tanks and it looks like a hideious project, there is only 4 inches clearance between where unit is on the tank and the cab, so if all the pick up and float dont run damned close to horizontal toward the back of the tank, there wont be enough room to get it out. Also the sending unit is "downhill" of some of the tank, so if the tank is more than 3/4 full a mess can be expected.

They do have in tank and in line electric pumps on the fuel injected 4-cyl (had that on our 89 2wd ranger) but there are only 2 leads gonig into the sending unit on this, so i think the mechanical pump is solo on this, which has the "Cologne" v6 and feedback carb. Do you know how this grey plastic connector pulls off, i would at least like to ground out the white/ yellow to see if it is the send or the gauge causing the no gas gauge condition.

Back