• Register Today It's free!

86 4banger 911!!!

ExporeRanger

Reaction score
City, State
Highland, Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
goin down the roadthe other day..its obvious theres something rong..stop at autozone kuz its onthe way and pick up some stop-squeal..go back to the house withit..gunna put it on..notice its not so much squealing as it is a pulley on the serpentine belt is melting fromthe inner diameter..i believe its the idler pulley.. i hav a 2.3L inline 4cyl with no A/C or anything on it. its the only pulley on the track thats plastic..all rest are metal..i measured it..same size as the one on my buddies mustang..and called autozone..part is 22 bux..is this something i could do myself or should? did this hav the rong torque on it, and caused it to swqueeze it down or the belt the rong size?..im worried about tnesion and torque on the new pulley once i get it if i order it and do it myself..i am mechanically inclined..and my friends are even more and hav a garage..so i think we could definately do it..does anybody know anything about this? or hav a good route to go about it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oil it where the beraings are and carry a spare.. feel if it gets hot. ive gone through one

Im sorry i have a very hard time understanding what you just said lol. As far as i get out of that your idler pulley is acting up because its plastic? Does it line up straight with the rest of the pulleys, as in its not on any angle in comparison? On my 4.0 my idler pully was actually on an angle, eventually the belt slipped off and starting rubbing on the alternator.

Good luck with the problem :)

yeah its lined up..everythings been running smoothly..it could have been the belt, or the tourque on the bolt holdin the pulley on..i dont kno..but the inner diameter of the pulley is all chewed up..still runs and spins, but the belt has a lot of play and it squeals real bad liek the pulley is about to fly off lol..and i think im goin to order the part, but metal, and go ahead and put it on..i believe they come w/ the bearing in which case it should be a relatively bolt on deal, except for lining it up and getting the torque right..because im pretty sure my belt is still good..if yall think differently..then tell me..thats why i have this thread...thanks
-chris

Yeah its best to replace it, when i replaced mine, though on a 4.0, it was pretty simple. I doubt youl have a problem :)

any tips? like oilin it liek he said?..any pointers at all..im plannin on doin it this week when i get a day..

never heard of oiling anything like that before, theres not all to much to it but again, i dont have a 4 cylinder either.. make sure the belt is still alright as well. Watch your fingers when you change it so you dont end up getting them caught in any belts when you put the new tensioner on.

there are no tensioners

alright..it was easy...unbolt the stud on the alternator that controls tension..give it some leeway..metric box wrench took off the old pulley..slapped new one on..lined it up..bout puish alternator back tight bout 1/2 of play..and bolted the alternator back down...charge looks fine while drivin..no squeaking...in a few days,,ill chek all the bolts and their tension and the belt tension..make sure its all still good..then that'll be a done deal..pulley was only 18 bux

Back