• Register Today It's free!

86 ranger 2.9l vacuum issue

Ethan Johnson

Reaction score
City, State
Gresham Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 ford ranger
Hey guys, long time reader on the website first time poster. I have a 1986 ford ranger I got a few days ago with a 2.9l v6 and I love the truck so far. only issue is there is a vacuum line I found broken off when facing the truck with the hood open its on the right sight of the throttle body looks to be coming off the egr. I have no idea where this is supposed to go to. but the truck runs rich, has low power and idles poorly when this is open. if I plug it up the above symptoms are not totally fixed but made a lot better. If anybody can tell me where this goes that would be great. I would prefer to fix it properly instead of just plugging it and calling it a day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guessing you don't have the vacuum diagram sticker on the radiator support, so I would look for a open nipple on the vacuum tree,maybe there's the other end of the broken line hanging there?

Guessing you don't have the vacuum diagram sticker on the radiator support, so I would look for a open nipple on the vacuum tree,maybe there's the other end of the broken line hanging there?

Where is the vacuum tree located? I can't seam to find it. Am I just blind and missing it? @RangerX

I don't know 2.9's at all, but on my 4.0 it's upper rear driver side of engine.

Anyone with a 2.9 know the location of the vacuum tree?

Finding the diagrams not my issue. I just can't clearly see where that hose is supposed to go. If someone else with an 86-87 2.9 could post a few pictures that would be awesome

The diagram shows you where it goes.

If it is the vacuum line for the egr, there is a black solenoid on the side of the intake just behind the egr. Vacuum line connects to the bottom.

If it is the vacuum line for the egr, there is a black solenoid on the side of the intake just behind the egr. Vacuum line connects to the bottom.
thanks. thats what I thought but wanted to double check with someone else who has it since I'm still fairly new to the 2.9l

Back