'86 ranger front end on '93 explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'86 ranger front end on '93 explorer?

I have access to the front clip of a 2wd 1986 ranger (still on the truck, so I can get all the pieces I need) and I was thinking about trying to swap it onto my 1993 Explorer. So far, here's what I'm noticing while looking at these 2 pictures

1985%20Ford%20Ranger.jpg

1993_ford_explorer.jpg

it seems like the front of the doors and the bottom of the a-pillars could accommodate the same shape and size of fender. The cowl is harder to make a call on, but it looks like the ranger's is slightly shorter between the back of the hood and the windshield. The body lines look like they wouldn't quite match up on the top of the fenders as well.

When the Bronco II went over to the newer style front end in '89, did any of the structure change underneath the body panels? Because if they could run the similar newer style without major changes, I'm thinking I could reverse that step without too much hassle.

Any thoughts on this? I'll be picking up the body panels for free tomorrow, but I don't want to tear down my explorer if the project won't really work.

The under structure is pretty much the same but you will have to swap over the headlight mounts from the Ranger (welded on) or the complete rad support (also welded on) unless your headlights are bolted directly to the rad support (I cant remember off the top of my head) and line up the Ranger headlight openings.

As for sheet metal, that's another story. I'm pretty sure (but don't quote me) the Ex is 3" wider than a 1st gen. Ranger at the wheel wells. The body lines wont even come close to lining up to the doors. But I'm 95% sure the fenders and hood are a direct bolt on. However the bumper wont be, you'll have to fab up some mounting brackets. Along with do some rewiring to get the lights to work.

Seems Like Allot Of Work To Put The Ranger On First Gen Explorer , But Not Quite sure How It Would Look After It Was Finished , Bronco II 4 door Ish !

Back