87 Bronco II lift kit, bushings, etc. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

87 Bronco II lift kit, bushings, etc.

not turbo

Reaction score
City, State
Everett WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 Bronco 2
So I was looking under my 87 B2 and have decided it's time to replace the various bushings found there...

How's the kits from these guys? Anyone have any tips/pointers/threads I could read? (I did a couple of searches but didn't find anything about R and R'ing these things)

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Top shelf stuff!!!

It doesn't get any better.

Edit; look at my 'I've been busy' thread. That's the Duff stage 1 kit on my X

Link please?

eta: Found it! Thanks! Not much info on r & R'ing the bushings I'm looking at...I might have to turn this into a "look what I done all by myself" thread....:D

Also, can anyone describe (or have pics) the differences between stock body bushings, 2", and 3"?

I'm probably going to just go stock, but what advantages does a higher body lift have? (Especially a 2"?) More ground clearance for body parts, easier to install a 4.0...looks cooler ;) , etc?

More tippy? :roll:

:thumbsup: thanks!

I ordered a set of radius arm bushings, mine look pretty beat up...

Before I ordered, I took a quick look at how they're on the shaft...it looked like all I had to do was undo the nut holding the radius arm, slide the shaft away from the crossmember and install the new bushings...

But the shaft doesn't look like it slides. It is solid, and goes directly to the front axle area.

How do I remove and reinstall the radius arm bushings?

Thanks! :confused:

Probably the easiest way (or should I say, least PITA way) is to remove the radius arm crossmember from the frame. You'll need some 7/16 x 1" bolts to replace the 4 rivets that need to be grinded/drilled out.

As for the bodylift, anything that raises it will raise your center of gravity some. A 3" bodylift will raise it less than a 3" suspension lift however (which raises the frame/engine/trans along with the body).

Main advantages of a bodylift are more room for the (bigger) tires, and better access when working on the vehicle (transmission, transfercase, etc). If you are swapping the drivetrain (V8, etc), or adding things like a double t-case, the extra space a bodylift provides can save a lot of headache as well.
Better performance offroad (outside of what bigger tires can provide) is not among their benefits though.

Probably the easiest way (or should I say, least PITA way) is to remove the radius arm crossmember from the frame. You'll need some 7/16 x 1" bolts to replace the 4 rivets that need to be grinded/drilled out.

As for the bodylift, anything that raises it will raise your center of gravity some. A 3" bodylift will raise it less than a 3" suspension lift however (which raises the frame/engine/trans along with the body).

Main advantages of a bodylift are more room for the (bigger) tires, and better access when working on the vehicle (transmission, transfercase, etc). If you are swapping the drivetrain (V8, etc), or adding things like a double t-case, the extra space a bodylift provides can save a lot of headache as well.
Better performance offroad (outside of what bigger tires can provide) is not among their benefits though.

Thanks! Do the bolts need to be hardened (with 6 lines on the head etc) or anything?

I saw the rivets and thought...oh gaaaawwdd....I hope there's an easier way! :( Oh well, gotta get 'er done...:cool:

Grade 8 bolts would be best, yes. Be sure the NUTS are grade 8 as well (and use hardened washers).

Good luck on it.

I ordered a set of radius arm bushings, mine look pretty beat up...

Before I ordered, I took a quick look at how they're on the shaft...it looked like all I had to do was undo the nut holding the radius arm, slide the shaft away from the crossmember and install the new bushings...

But the shaft doesn't look like it slides. It is solid, and goes directly to the front axle area.

How do I remove and reinstall the radius arm bushings?

Thanks! :confused:

Some shops will just wrap a strap around the beam and pull it forward enough to get the arm out of the bracket. That's really the easiest-cheapest way.

Back