87 Ranger engine swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

87 Ranger engine swap

samybob

Reaction score
I have found a sweet 87 Ranger with a blown 2.9L engine. I have also found a good deal on a 2.3L engine and transmission, I like the 2.3 motor and would like to swap will I have problems with the electrical? Will the 2.3 work with the 2.9 tranny? Any input will be appreciated

Will the 2.3 work with the 2.9 tranny?
It depends on whether the transmission in question has a removable bellhousing or not. The 2.3 and 2.9 have different bellhousing bolt patterns, so swaps between the engines are not usually straightforward if they are doable at all.

will I have problems with the electrical?
If you get the 2.3 L engine with all of the engine management wiring and PCM, I don't think you'll have much difficulty at all. If you think you'll be able to put the 2.3 in and have the 2.9 engine management/PCM make the 2.3 operate, I think you'll have a lot of problems.

pcv valve

Ok on my 88 ranger i believe its the 2.3 in it the pcv is right behind the altinater and the guy who i bought it off of i guess is stupid and took the top house for the pcv valve and took it off put tiny chunk on and put a screw in it to plug it off now its causing problems for me so can anyone tell me where that house is suppose to run to please???
email wesleyhall8@gmail.com
Thanks

Back