87 ranger obd2 conversion almost complete 5r55e question and gem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

87 ranger obd2 conversion almost complete 5r55e question and gem

jtanderson_01

Reaction score
City, State
london ont
Year, Model & Trim Level
1987 ranger
well havent been here in awhile. been working on this project a little at a time.
1987 ranger converted to obd 2
engine runs great, having a little shift trouble and speedo.
reads 160 kms an hour backing out of the driveway and speedo only works when cruise control is not plugged in,or when fuse 10 is unplugged,
trans shifts all over the place. like its getting no signal.
ill give you the details and if you have any suggestions let me know
installed into my 87-----1997 ranger body wiring,dash wiring/ steering column, engine compartment for lights, power distribution/ etc all out of the doner 1997 ranger with m5od trans
decided to delete m5od trans and go with 5r55e from 1998. jumpers over clutch pedal pos./ floor shifter remains to shift trans 1987 style.
1996 ecm/engine harness/trans harness/newtral safety start switch/ from 4r55e.
1998 5r55e trans. new ods sensor put on trans from me ( stealership 43bucks)
replaced rear axle 1992 7.5 rearend /replaced abs sensor.
need some ideas to fix shift/speedo
trand rebuilt (5r55e)
1 does my gem module need to be changed over from a 1997 thats automatic
its currently in dash from when m50d. typed in part number and didnt seem to matter/ junk yard didnt seem to know.
2 does it matter that i didnt use the steering column from an automatic(kept floor shift)
3 does it matter that i didnt swap the 1997 speedometer/ odometer. to one from an automatic?
anything else i forgot?
already replaced tps too figured it controlled shift too.
4. do i have to search again for the 1997 engine harness/ trans harness/
it was impossible last time and thats why i settled for the 1996 2wd ecm/harn/4r55e wire/switch

Back