88 Ranger 4X4 Misfire\loss of power | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

88 Ranger 4X4 Misfire\loss of power

cdj3395

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta,GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Helllo All
This is my first time to the site and my first post.
I have just bought a 88 Ranger, It has a 2.9L engine. The problem(s) are:
It was hard to start, when it did start it began to misfire, it cleared up for about 15 secs then misfired again. I tried to drive a short distance, but lost so much power it would no longer move. It died and wouldnt start. There was also a brief strong smell of gas. Thats where I am... I have very little history on this truck, but the prevoius owner did say it had a misfire when he owned it, said it was probably a ground issue.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

have the same issue with 88 ranger same 2.9 engine

I have the same issue with 88 ranger same 2.9 engine non 4x4. It started all of asuden yesterday. at first I thought I had over heated due to the pinging sound when I tryed to accelerate. then realized I had not driven far e-nuff for it to even get heated up. I have checked the cap, rotor, wires and plugs. all were fine. checked for vacum leaks, and checked the injector connectors.
still runs like crap. what can happen all of asuden and cause theese symptoms? on my last trip it started fine, and drove like normal for over a mile, and then like that id started sipiting and sputering. another problem I am having , I can't seem to find the eec or obd code reader connector. everything I read here says it's under the hood, but my 88 ranger has 2 connectors under the center of the dash postioned faceing the drivers floor.
any help will be greatly appreaited. Jimbo...

Back