• Register Today It's free!

89 2.3l intermittent power loss

expobronc

Reaction score
City, State
Hayward, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 V8
so heres the skinny ive had this ranger for about a year. got it cheap cause it didnt run, no biggie all it needed was a fuel pump, did that, cleaned out the tank, new filter, FPR etc. okay so fuel delivery shouldnt be a problem. but id say 90% of the time it just has no power, like its pulling a trailer, or plowing through deep water, it takes off fine, but then hits a "wall" and you can feel it pulling back. no matter how hard or lightly i hit the pedal it just bogs. then at about 2000-2500 rpms (and sometimes its hard to tell because my tach also only works 50% of the time) its like a switch is flipped and the truck pulls just fine, seriously the change in power is that sudden and dramatic. So after pulling off a stop light and finally chugging up to speed with a line of cars behind me, i leave it in gear (5-speed manual) i blip the key off and on and at the next light its fine, power all the way through. I dont know where to even start testing... timing marks seem to line up for the cam, FPR holds vacuum, MAP seems to be working (runs worse with the vacuum disconected), vacuum is fairly steady bounces between 15-18 inches. I'm lead to belive it could be the ignition module (especially with the tach problem). I'm really leaning towards electrical because of the fact it can "reset" it by blipping the key. the check engine light comes on after about 10 miles IF the 10 mile mark is city driving, i can hit the highway forever without the CEL coming on but in the city it comes on, then after enough hwy driving it will go off. it will also go off when i bip the key... im lost REALLY lost and the afformentioned line of cars is getting old.. please please help me before i go crazy ... anything, any ideas no matter how far out im willing to try TIA!!!

update: I replaced the ignition control module and no change. its getting much worse. this is the 3rd message board i've tried, just hoping anyone has any input. If i take it to a shop the bill would be more than what the truck's worth...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First things first...have you had the codes ran? That should tell you what the problem is or at least get you headed in the right direction.

okay here goes

KOEO
34 egr valve position
41 EGO always lean

KOER
21 engine coolant temp not at normal op temp OR edis fault CPS circut
42 EGO always rich... wait... what? but before you said...
33 EGR valve position not opening or not seated
77 operator error during during dynamic response
52 power steering circuit open or no changes...

so which way do i go now... obviously the egr's high on the list. clean it? coolant temp could be cause its sat for a while now before i ran the test... o2 sensor i dont even know whats up with that 77 and 52 dont really worry me but what about 21 edis fault in the cps circuit, how do i check the crank position sensor... where is it located on the 2.3 i know someone will say "you need a shop manual" and i agree if i could find a chiltons i would get one but all i've seen are haynes, and not only are they not helpful, but more often than not ive found them to be innacurate, especially in electrical testing specs...

okay im omitting the egr valve. i pulled off the sensor portion and grabbed the plunger with a set of pliers and it moved quite freely. there is little to no vacuum at the green plastic vacuum line attached. the red going to the switch on the passenger side inner fender has a steady 17 but the output was barely enough to move the needle. im not sure under what circumstances that valve opens... also when i hooked green to red and just bypassed that switch/valve the engine ran like s*it. not just at idle but i kicked it up to about 2k and there was a definate miss like 2 cylinders just dropped off.

...This is what I come up with...:scratch:

KOEO
34 #O #R PFE or EVP circuit above the closed limit of 0.67 volts.
41 #C HEGO sensor circuit indicates system lean (right side).

KEOR
21 #O #C #R ECT out of self test range 0.3 to 3.7 volts.
42 #C HEGO sensor circuit indicates system rich (right side).
#R No HEGO switching detected always rich (right side).

33 #C #R EGR valve opening not detected.
77 #R System failed to recognize brief WOT during Dynamic Response Test (user error).
52 #O #C #R Power steering pressure switch always open or closed.

Back