• Register Today It's free!

89 B2 with no title

raylesk

Reaction score
City, State
Livingston NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 Bronco II
Picking up an 89 b2 today with only 55k original miles and no rust! Its an auto with manual transfer case just what I've been looking for the--only catch is no title. NJ is a pain to get a title so I was thinking of switching vin from my current 90 B2 that needs a lot of work and then scrapping that one. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have to go threw emissions checks?
If it is like here, they check all the numbers on the vehicle, if they don't match, you have a problem.
File for a lost title and ride out the bureaucracy.

We have inspections here with emissions but they never look for vin numbers. I don't think they care when its 21 years old and only worth a few hundred dollars.

hmm no title? out here u can get a title by going in saying u bought it at a lien sale.... cant do that out there?

Just swap VIN's. I was going to do this on my Mounty for another nice Mounty w/o a title. In PA if you were willing to wait long enough you could file for a title. You could claim it was abandoned on your property, and after so long (90 days comes to mind) it becomes abandoned property. Not sure if NJ has similar abandoned property laws or not.

If you need the title to register a 21 year old truck, wont the scrapyard require a title when you go to scrap it?

Yes. In PA you need to have a title to scrap a car, or cut it in half. Seriously.

I think swapping is my best option--it takes too long to title an abandoned car and I don't have 6 months to wait. I called the scrapyard and they said they don't need a title to scrap it. I guess they are not worried about stolen cars when they are that old and have so little value.

I think that needing a title on a 20 year old car is crap anyway, in NH all you would need is a bill of sale.

I think swapping is my best option--it takes too long to title an abandoned car and I don't have 6 months to wait. I called the scrapyard and they said they don't need a title to scrap it. I guess they are not worried about stolen cars when they are that old and have so little value.

honestly before swapping vins, and possibly getting into some deep ****, look into putting a lein sale on it to get the title first that way its nice and legal..

Swapping VINS is a big bad federal NO-NO! Seriously, it's a felony. Granted, if you do it very clean, you may not get caught, since you actually own the "donor" vehicle and aren't likely to report it stolen. However, one little scratch on that vin tag, or a rivet that doesn't lookl right,etc.... and the first time you get pulled over the cop is going to get suspicious. The you could have a big problem. It could also come back to bite you, if, for some reason you are ever in a serious accident where they would impound and go over the vehicle.

How come there is no title? I see people selling older vehicles all the time, in NJ, where they say they lost the title. Guess what? In NJ, the last titled owner, provided it was last titled in NJ, can go to any DMV and get a replacement title. Used to be $20, now it's $60. All they need is an old registration card or insurance ID card (or a proof of current or previous insurance letter from their ins. company).

Just got it tonight and its sweet. Been looking for one like this for a couple of years now--its an 89 white ext, grey int, auto a/c pw and pdl, tilt wheel, 60/40 bench seat, manual transfer case and did I say no rust with 50,550 miles on it!! It was a spare truck for a small construction company and by the looks of it they did not abuse it at all. I'll have to post pics in the b2 registry tomorrow.

Swapping VINS is a big bad federal NO-NO! Seriously, it's a felony. Granted, if you do it very clean, you may not get caught, since you actually own the "donor" vehicle and aren't likely to report it stolen. However, one little scratch on that vin tag, or a rivet that doesn't lookl right,etc.... and the first time you get pulled over the cop is going to get suspicious. The you could have a big problem. It could also come back to bite you, if, for some reason you are ever in a serious accident where they would impound and go over the vehicle.

X 2 !!!

No No No !!

Register it in New Hampshire with the bill of sale from the construction company. Wait 6 months and title it in NJ. It is yours, you paid for it from a legitimate owner.

Why can't the "construction company" get a duplicate title?

Back