89 Super cab with a 4.0 swap | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

89 Super cab with a 4.0 swap

Well it’s in! Just gotta find a shifter for it since the FM-146 shifter is different. I had to run a new starter solenoid wire down to the starter and will end up replacing most of the exhaust due to rust.

838EC923-74B0-48F0-BE11-E27C56B29BA9.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes the stupid 5 speeds used different starters chances are your toyo starter will not fit m5od

Ohv clutch and trans huge upgrade over 2.9

Now in 150k miles you can upgrade to sohc clutch!! Hope you can find the shifter, good time for new nylon bushings at the shifter too, Dorman sells a kit

Yes the stupid 5 speeds used different starters chances are your toyo starter will not fit m5od

Ohv clutch and trans huge upgrade over 2.9

Now in 150k miles you can upgrade to sohc clutch!! Hope you can find the shifter, good time for new nylon bushings at the shifter too, Dorman sells a kit

When I bought the shifter stub, it came with the nylon bushings that hold the stub in place. Do the m50d have a nylon ball on the end of the shifter stub like the tk and fm’s? This stub didn’t and didn’t come with one.

M5od shifter has metal ball i believe not nylon
I have a bad m5od here from a 3.0 ranger I could sell you the shifter if needed pm me

M5od shifter has metal ball i believe not nylon
I have a bad m5od here from a 3.0 ranger I could sell you the shifter if needed pm me

Okay good deal, I thought it probably was. I will pm you.

Well I got the neutral safety switch fixed. Now I don’t have to put the trans in neutral and have the clutch pressed in. I scabbed together a exhaust from 4 different trucks lol. But it’s together and, it’s nice and quiet. I put together a short list of what I want or need to do still.
EAB8349D-632F-449E-9D3D-DDDA150D8922.jpeg

I’ll get that shifter in my hand today and plan to ship tomorrow

So I installed a ecm from a 95 explorer that had a manual transmission. The engine is running much better and the responsiveness is what it should be. I’m getting a couple codes though. EGR which this engine doesn’t have, the IAC, MAP and AIT sensor. So I’m not sure if the issue is due to the sensor incapability with the ecm or if there’s an issue with the ecm.

The temp sensor is all over the place too. It gets to operating temp like it should but then will climb to the red before the thermostat opens up and it drops back down. I installed a manual gauge and it only gets to 200deg then the T-stat opens and it drops back to 190deg. So that’s not worrying me too much.

95 doesn’t have map, do you mean mas?

95 pcm wants to see 1995 sensors not 93 or 94
Also the wiring at the 95 pcm might vary from your 94 harness

These things need to be checked
But now you can simply troubleshoot what you have

Are the mas sensors the same part number 94 to 95? I doubt it. Are the wires in same spot, probably
You will need to check each one for each code and fix

The coolant sensor for the dash is for the dash, meaning you should install a 1989 coolant temp sensor for the dash and a 95 coolant temp sensor for the new pcm

Are you following my logic?

Only the 90-91 has a map and maf sensor

95 doesn’t have map, do you mean mas?

95 pcm wants to see 1995 sensors not 93 or 94
Also the wiring at the 95 pcm might vary from your 94 harness

These things need to be checked
But now you can simply troubleshoot what you have

Are the mas sensors the same part number 94 to 95? I doubt it. Are the wires in same spot, probably
You will need to check each one for each code and fix

The coolant sensor for the dash is for the dash, meaning you should install a 1989 coolant temp sensor for the dash and a 95 coolant temp sensor for the new pcm

Are you following my logic?

Yep, that’s probably exactly what’s wrong. Wrong year/model of sensors. I’m gonna look up the ecm pinnings and compare them. I will make the appropriate changes and go from there. I’ll cross reference part numbers also to see if they are different from a 91 to a 95. I imagine they are and this ecm is just in limp mode with all wrong sensor readings.

Only the 90-91 has a map and maf sensor

I will get the code numbers, I wrote them down and I’ll recheck them.

You gentlemen are correct. The 95 uses different sensors and the part numbers are not the same. I’m going to compare the cost of ordering a new ecm that matches my year/model, to buying all new sensors.

Got the new shifter in and I’ve been driving it some. With that 95 ecm in limp mode she does pretty good! 😂
Even with a locker, I can spin the 33’s and do a doughnut on the pavement!

I ordered a used ecm for a 91 explorer that was federal smog and not ca smog. I hope it’s the right one, but it was only $45 so we’ll see.

Glad you got the shifter and it worked!!

Now get out of limp mode!!

Thanks buddy! I’m working on it, just gotta wait for the new ecm to come in.

So you won’t believe it, but I found that stupidity rare manual 4wd shifter boot and bezel for a M5OD at a local junk yard! If I had stopped by there I would have found it and been able to drive the truck a lot sooner lol. Anyways, I started building a new dog box and roll bar. The box will have room in the front of the bed for several fuel cans, a generator, an Ice chest and some extras. I will post pictures when it starts to take shape.

I’m gonna take my daughter hunting tomorrow. I don’t know if I will get a chance to work on the dog box.

So you won’t believe it, but I found that stupidity rare manual 4wd shifter boot and bezel for a M5OD at a local junk yard! If I had stopped by there I would have found it and been able to drive the truck a lot sooner lol. Anyways, I started building a new dog box and roll bar. The box will have room in the front of the bed for several fuel cans, a generator, an Ice chest and some extras. I will post pictures when it starts to take shape.

I’m gonna take my daughter hunting tomorrow. I don’t know if I will get a chance to work on the dog box.
I believe it cause you really don't need the boot now. It's like when you lose something and just buy another. When finished you put it with the lost one so you know where it is.

The new ecm came in today, ups said yesterday that it’ll be delivered Monday. I’m pretty stoked about that lol. I put it in tonight and test drove it. It’s running great and the CEL went out! But the alt is going out and I’m going to replace the T-stat because I don’t trust it. I’m planning to take it on a test drive tomorrow. It’ll be a 2 hour drive each way plus some dirt road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe it cause you really don't need the boot now. It's like when you lose something and just buy another. When finished you put it with the lost one so you know where it is.

You’re absolutely right!

Back