8k HIDs Installed, Plasti Handles/Door Trim/Rear Logo/Roof Rails | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

8k HIDs Installed, Plasti Handles/Door Trim/Rear Logo/Roof Rails

XPLRTHIS

Reaction score
City, State
Irvine, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
**UPDATED WITH GRILLES PICS**

I work for an aftermarket parts company and once I picked this baby up, i couldnt stop the modding! I masked off all the chrome parts and plasti-dipped them and they turned out GREAT!

I also added 8000k HID Lows and Fogs. Im going to do the grille next and powdercoat the wheels after that.

PS. Sorry if the photos are not amazing..Its Iphone 5

Before:

8285276120_d15f1377dc_c.jpg

Grille:

8314770001_2dc321c256_z.jpg

8314770125_431727c085_z.jpg

HIDS:

8284216937_24b90b7b34_c.jpg

Rails:

8284217251_d731755e41_c.jpg

Rear:

8284217447_7149a22c4b_c.jpg

Handles:

8285276428_9438d7fe18_c.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Plasti dip the rims... See if you like them, I think they will look sharp. If you don't like them peel it off.

Last photo looks 10 x's better then the first.

Did you remove the roof rails when you did them?

Thanks.

I want to do the roof rack rails too.......did you pull them or leave on the truck?

It's really too bad we don't have the PLASTIDIP here in the Philippines! I would definitely have applied PLASTIDIP on the chrome rocker panels.

I'm not thrilled w/ your choice of color for the H.I.D. kit, but the rest looks great. I plan on dipping the handles on my Sport after our holiday trips.

Looking good , I'm liking the door handles.:thumbsup:

For some reason, I cant multi quote yet, but thanks for the feedback guys! The truck looks great..its a work in progress!

The wheels are the next test, I think it will make a big difference! If I dont like it, ill just peel it off like you said ;)

For the roof rails, yes I took them apart because it made it much easier to spray them. You just have to be a bit careful putting them back together.

The 8ks arent for everyone, but I had them on my last truck and love the blue tint. Ive gotten a few high beam flashes but I like them ;) The handles look great when they are done! Its a bit tricky to get some of the edges, but it looks great in the end!

The 8ks arent for everyone, but I had them on my last truck and love the blue tint. Ive gotten a few high beam flashes but I like them ;)

Well, as long as you like them, to heck with the other drivers! :thumbdwn:

Ive gotten a few high beam flashes but I like them ;)!

Another selfish ****** bag blinding oncoming traffic...but as long as you like them.....

I wish I knew how to remove the roof rails so I can paint them too. Anybody here who can help me out on a guide to removing it? Thanks

On removing the rails. I took them apart on Sunday just to see how to do it :)
but sorry I don't have any pictures.

On each end of the rails is a cap that covers the screws holding down the rails. On the front cap, pry up (straight up) the farthest end from the metal rail. This will remove the cap. Do the same on the back cap cover. There are 2 screws at each end, 10mm hex head. They are long threaded, it will take quite a few turns of a socket to remove them. Once the four bolts are removed, the rail will still be attached to the center support. Slide the rail assembly forward, there is a slot that attaches it to the center support.

I didn't remove the ends, but it appeared that there were 2 torx screws holding the metal rail to each attachment piece. Hope this helps.

Another selfish ****** bag blinding oncoming traffic...but as long as you like them.....

Um yeah..it's not that bad dude..calm down before you call members d bags..it's not any higher up then any other headlight..no brighter than thousands of other BMWs or Mercedes out there..you wanna complain..

Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm gonna do the grille over the weekend!

On each end of the rails is a cap that covers the screws holding down the rails. On the front cap, pry up (straight up) the farthest end from the metal rail. This will remove the cap. Do the same on the back cap cover. There are 2 screws at each end, 10mm hex head. They are long threaded, it will take quite a few turns of a socket to remove them. Once the four bolts are removed, the rail will still be attached to the center support. Slide the rail assembly forward, there is a slot that attaches it to the center support.

I didn't remove the ends, but it appeared that there were 2 torx screws holding the metal rail to each attachment piece. Hope this helps.

You said it perfectly! I ended up taking the end caps off. How is yours holding up?

Thanks Txaggie! I think its simple enough to do! Hmmmm! Now Im wondering how the ex looks like without the rails! especially that i wont be needing to haul stuff on top of my roof...

Anybody here tried shaving off the roof rails yet? Pics would be good, at least before I am able to do this when I have some freetime... :) cheers!

In my previous life, I owned a Honda Odyssey. I absolutely hated the side rails and removed them. However, Honda actually did this right and the base model didn't have the roof rails, therefore they made a cover for the groove running the length of the roof.

Ok, back to the Explorer, I don't think you can just take them off, because that is what I wanted to do. Even the base model has the black colored roof rails. And once you remove the rail bases, you are left with screw holes that are exposed because they didn't create a filler for the groove and holes. I spent a lot of time Sunday night on the Ford parts website looking for a filler for the groove, but it doesn't exist (that I could find).

I WANT to remove them completely, I think it would really sleek without the rails, but I am not seeing a good solution to removing them.

In my previous life, I owned a Honda Odyssey. I absolutely hated the side rails and removed them. However, Honda actually did this right and the base model didn't have the roof rails, therefore they made a cover for the groove running the length of the roof.

Ok, back to the Explorer, I don't think you can just take them off, because that is what I wanted to do. Even the base model has the black colored roof rails. And once you remove the rail bases, you are left with screw holes that are exposed because they didn't create a filler for the groove and holes. I spent a lot of time Sunday night on the Ford parts website looking for a filler for the groove, but it doesn't exist (that I could find).

I WANT to remove them completely, I think it would really sleek without the rails, but I am not seeing a good solution to removing them.

Ohhhhh! I think I got what you mean, I guess maybe some plastic plugs similar to the ones they use for the front plates will be there to cover the screw holes but then again, no solution for the groove that will be left behind? Hmmm, I really need to see it to get a better idea for a solution! For the meantime, need to wait for that time when I am going to actually remove the rails to paint it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also wanted to remove them completely after seeing it without them when I was painting them. You would have to find someway to retain those front and rear connections as they actually like attach to the windshield I think. I have seen one at SEMA that did it, but im sure they probably did something custom to fill the holes etc.

Back