• Register Today It's free!

9 inch lift

jlove21

Reaction score
City, State
westland,michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 xlt
i was wondering if anyone has every put a 9 inch lift on there gen 1 explorer. i have a ford 9 rear and a d44 ready to go in my truck but dont know what size lift to do. i have never seen a lift that big on an explorer. If u have a lift that big what size tire did u go with. Also is it even safe to go that big or will the truck rollover?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, decide how big of tires YOU want to run, then decide on the lift. 9" is pretty excesive and would get your COG pretty high, but guys with soild axle swaps and 40" tires have got to be at least that high over stock.

What are your plans for the axle swap? I would worry about tires and then figure out what you need to clear them.

thanks for the advice, i was planning on putting 37's on my truck but dont know how big of a lift to go. i dont want to go to big but dont want to have any problems clearing the tires.

The thing about swapping in new axles is that you're not going to just be able to buy an off the shelf lift and throw it in. Get your axles built, mount the tires on them, then get the truck up in the air so you can decide what you want for ride height and clearance.

If you're not using the Dana 44 and 9" that you said you had, then you're going to need a 5.5" lift and a little bit of fender trimming. Some radius arms that are inset so you don't rub there could help as well. You still may need a body lift to clear them with the stock axles and an off the shelf lift, but with 37s the stock axles arent going to last long... not the front anyway.

There are a TON off different spring combinations that would work. How are you planning to mount the new axles? 4-link? leaf springs? coils and radius arms? Lots of different options that will affect how much lift you are going to need and end up with.

Your best bet is to start researching and reading what other guys have done. You're looking at a completely custom job, so your imagination is the limit.

Hope you have really good fab skills! Post pics and let us know what you're going to do!

thanks for the tips. i will definitely do some research.

I believe the lift on my 1st gen is roughly 5-7 inches. I would not go any taller than about 6 inches on a explorer. Unless you go with full width axles. Then maybe a lil taller would be ok. But what do you intend to use your truck for? Rocks? Mud? Simple trail riding? I know these are more questions you probably don't want to hear, but this would be good info to help answer your question.

Personally I'd go as low as possible with the biggest tire imaginable. But that starts getting into custom stuff and that costs money.

I plan on keeping the axles full width, I am going with the coils springs and radius arms, and I plan on using the truck as a mud truck/ trail truck. I have a set of 37 inch super swampers and dont know how big to go in order to fit them. I plan on some articulation and dont want the tires taking out my fenders. I plan on doing some fender trimming and custom bumpers. I was planning on a 3 inch body lift. any advise on that, should I or not? please reply with as much advise as possible.

Go and search in the section for this kind of work. You will find volumes of ideas and working rigs there. Have fun. Research is 90% of your build.....

i have a 94 explorer running a 6 inch superlift and a 3inch body lift and ill tell you it rides like a cadillac. i am still running the ttb with a spicer 5-760x forged u-joint and a full locking ring to keep it from dismantling itself. i have had zero problems with the superlift but i will say get the superrunner steering it has made such a difference. and i was really suprised it doesnt roll all that much the superlift shocks are super stiff and actually carry the weight better than my old rancho 9000's. when i am not at work i will throw a picture on tomorrow. i run bfg at's 33x12.5.15 i can run a 35 but i lose way to much travel and i really didnt want to cut into the body. also if you step up to that big a lift/tire make sure you do your gears. often overlooked but it will barely move on anything less that 4.10's i went ahead and stuffed 4.56 gears in had to notch diff but made them fit. hope you like what you get!

I run 9" right now and adding 2 more inches next weekend.i run 36x14.50 and rubbed with 9",i also run fiberglass fenders up front!go 5.13 for 37+,i run 4.88 and its not enough!:(

i have a 94 explorer running a 6 inch superlift and a 3inch body lift and ill tell you it rides like a cadillac. i am still running the ttb with a spicer 5-760x forged u-joint and a full locking ring to keep it from dismantling itself. i have had zero problems with the superlift but i will say get the superrunner steering it has made such a difference. and i was really suprised it doesnt roll all that much the superlift shocks are super stiff and actually carry the weight better than my old rancho 9000's. when i am not at work i will throw a picture on tomorrow. i run bfg at's 33x12.5.15 i can run a 35 but i lose way to much travel and i really didnt want to cut into the body. also if you step up to that big a lift/tire make sure you do your gears. often overlooked but it will barely move on anything less that 4.10's i went ahead and stuffed 4.56 gears in had to notch diff but made them fit. hope you like what you get!
you know this thread is two years old.

Your lucky you went 4.56 for 33,that's what they need.i ran 4.88s with 33s and loved it.what are you talking about stuffing them in and notching the diff?4.56 go in with ease and you should never notch the cross pin if that's what your taking about notching the diff.you should pattern the gear and grind a tooth.

photo.php

the trim is being removed and am painting the bottom with a chip guard by dee zee

there is someone that put full width axles in. im not sure of the lift height. "92 explorer full width 8.8 and d44TTB" is the thread name. the build looks good.

Back