9004 Vs. 9007 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

9004 Vs. 9007

Does any one know if 9004 bulbs would fit 9007 sockets?

What could happen if this is accomplished?

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD 5spd
Warrior Twist
www.explorer4x4.com/thaven_juan.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope. This will not work. There are 2 things that differ between the 9004 and 9007 bulbs.

1. There are three slots that are located around the outside diameter of both bulbs. These slots are used to properly align the bulb in the housing so that the beam is projected in the proper direction. Here is the key. These slots are positioned differently in both bulbs and are also different thickness. This way you cannot mistakenly insert the wrong size bulb in the housing.

2. The length of the bulbs are also different. If you look at the base of the bulb you will notice the 9004 are longer than the 9007. (or vise-a-versa I forget) This only matter when you place the tightening rings on the bulb and try to secure it. The threads would not reach because the bulb is longer.

Hope this helps.

------------------
98 Sport 4.0L SOHC auto
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Thanks for the info!

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD 5spd
Warrior Twist

Juan, are you waiting for the 9007 PIAA Superwhite bulbs. I can't figure out why the 9007's haven't come out yet. PIAA says something about DOT and SAE approval problems because the 9007 has high/low beams in one bulb. My Lexus has High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights, driving the Explorer with stock halogens at night isn't fun after driving with the HID. The Superwhites is as close as you can come.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
97 Explorer Limited 4X4 SOHC V6
98 Lexus LS400

Stephen,
Yes, that is basically it. I called them and they said they will have them out in April. I guess it is just a matter of waiting, like anything else for us with 95+ Explorers! :-!

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD 5spd
Warrior Twist

April? Wow thats great news. Yep, we have to wait for everything, its worth it though.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

geez Stephen if you've got enough for a Lexus, you've got enough to skip the step of the PIAA Superwhites and go right with the PIAA H.I.D. system, they wouldn't fit in to your headlights but you can have that true H.I.D. in an Explorer... it'll run about $2,000 but if money is no object and lighting is very important to you, go nuts Dead Link Removed.

------------------
Matt Adams
94 Explorer 4-door nick-named "Tippy"
http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/explorer/explorer.html

Ha! I could do that true. I really don't need to though. I'm just looking for a little upgrade in lighting. I was looking at the PIAA setup, looks good but I'd rather keep the stock lighting setup. There's a company in California trying to get a HID Headlight retrofit kit passed DOT and SAE. If they can do that I might go that route. Whatever the case I need new headlights. As I'm sure all 95+ Explorer owners know, the stock headlights just plain suck.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

Hi Stephen,
I was looking at the autoindulgance website and they have a Xenon HID conversion kit for 9007. The add says prices starting at $695.00. Dead Link Removed It's a little ways down the page. HID conversion kit

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

[This message has been edited by Ray Lobato (edited 02-17-2000).]

Ray-
Wow that price actually isn't that bad! Anyway, I did look at that kit. I'm sure thats not DOT legal, but I could be wrong. According to who I talked to, you'd have to redesign the reflectors inside the lens for a proper beam pattern. The kit that this company in California is trying to get passed (I forget the company's name but my Lexus dealer gave it to me) will replace the Headlight lens, and the turn signal lenses with clear lens replacements with the proper beam pattern. Theyre talking prices around $1000. On the 9007 kit, they would have to manufacture two lenses into the headlight, one for the HID and one for the halogen high beams. If you look at the headlights on my Lexus which has HID, there are 4 lights, in two lenses. The outer lights have the HID, but the inner lights have the high beams which are halogen.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

9007's?

so do all '95 +'s take 9007's..i'm at work now and haven't checked by truck yet....wanting to get some replacements for my '95

all 95+ explorers taken 9007's.

Thanks Matt. Does anyone know about the Xenon bulbs? There are quite a few different pairs on ebay motors. They are going from 9.99 to 20 a pair. The 9.99 ones say "hid look" and the others, are they possibly actual hid's (high intensity discharge). Any thoughts on this "HID" stuff? oh, wait..i just re-read ray's post about hid conversion..so the bulbs on e-bay must ALL be HID "look-alikes", right?

[Edited by Ru Dawg on 08-17-2000 at 02:19 PM]

Well Dave, I'll admit to being the sucker who will try most anything once.
Those bulbs look good comming at you but watch out cause that guy may not see you. I thought they were like flouresent bulbs. They were not bright or white enough for me to see very well.
The PIAA 9005 & 9006 bulbs I have in my car are great.
You could probably get the same results with just higher wattage bulbs.
My 2 cents anyway...

Originally posted by Stephen
Ha! I could do that true. I really don't need to though. I'm just looking for a little upgrade in lighting. I was looking at the PIAA setup, looks good but I'd rather keep the stock lighting setup. There's a company in California trying to get a HID Headlight retrofit kit passed DOT and SAE. If they can do that I might go that route. Whatever the case I need new headlights. As I'm sure all 95+ Explorer owners know, the stock headlights just plain suck.

Stephen, you think the Explorer's stock headlights suck?? Try to drive my mom's '94 Chrysler Town & Country. Those headlights are so dim that it's not even funny. Those foglights doesn't help much at all either. One of them is pointing upward. So if you think the Explorer's headlights suck, think of you having to drive a Chrysler minivan with the stock headlights.

Also, the 9004s and 9007s are wired differently. Low beam on a 9004 system is high beam on a 9007 system.

Originally posted by Eagle
Nope. This will not work. There are 2 things that differ between the 9004 and 9007 bulbs.

1. There are three slots that are located around the outside diameter of both bulbs. These slots are used to properly align the bulb in the housing so that the beam is projected in the proper direction. Here is the key. These slots are positioned differently in both bulbs and are also different thickness. This way you cannot mistakenly insert the wrong size bulb in the housing.

2. The length of the bulbs are also different. If you look at the base of the bulb you will notice the 9004 are longer than the 9007. (or vise-a-versa I forget) This only matter when you place the tightening rings on the bulb and try to secure it. The threads would not reach because the bulb is longer.

Hope this helps.
[/i]

Back