9007 HID Hi/low Install | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

9007 HID Hi/low Install

I just purchased a set of HID lights off of ebay, they are a hi/low beam design, with the low beam being an HID bulb and the high beam being a halogen.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBTOX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320185217528&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI
That is a link to the set that I purchased. While I know these are probably not the best quality lights, I figured for the price, it wouldn't hurt to try. I wanted the 4300K temperature because I do not need the blue look, I am going for pure light output. These will be going in stock housings and once installed they will be aimed. I decided that all the night driving I've been doing, installing a set of HIDs would be beneficial and would eliminate the need for more lights. As soon as the lights get here, I will install them and try to post up some pictures, both day and night if possible.

Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I will also be going for the low beam only from what you are saying. If it's not too much trouble, could you take a picture of the bulbs they gave you, and how 2 bulbs fit in the headlight?
Thanks!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

As soon as I get the new bulbs, I will take a pic of the old ones. I will keep the old ones as a spare.

Dan

New bulbs have been shipped, waiting for them to get here, hopefully by Friday or Saturday. Wired up and installed my 2 Hella lights yesterday. Eventually when the weather warms up I need to go through all my wiring for my lights and redo most of it, as it is starting to get messy and I want everything to be cleaned up. I did get a few pictures of the lights on. These are all day time pictures, and I need to aim the hellas a bit. The Hellas are wired in with the High beams, I tapped into the high beams and used that as a trigger to the relay, so when they kick on, it activates the relay powering up the Hellas. The rectangular lights are triggered by the factory foglight switch, as they have been, but have been modified to stay on with the high beams. Ok, so here are the pictures...
Low beam
IMG_3268.jpg

High Beam
IMG_3269.jpg

High beam, side view
IMG_3270.jpg

Dan, do your low beams go out when the high beams are on?

Yes, they do.. Which is one reason why i really wanted to add the hellas. I may look into that brite box that aldive has, or something similar to keep the HIDs on whenever the highs are on. Especially since the new bulbs I ordered will not have a high beam function. So far I have not driven much at night with the current setup. But what driving I did do yielded no flashing from other drivers as the rectangular lights are lower and not as glaring, and they are angled out to the sides a bit (not really what I wanted) but I can clearly make out the road markings better. Now I just have to figure out how to make all the lights match.

Dan

Heres the funny thing, I had that harness, but removed it because of grounding issues. I actually had to steal the one plug off it for my HID install as well. Would it be possible to jump the wires with the diode without using this harness? I guess I will look into the other options to keeping the low beams on with the highs. Thanks for the link and idea, I may end up with that harness again, or one similar for ease of cleaning all my wiring up in the near future.

Dan

Update!

I received my new bulbs, I went with regular HID low beams in the 4300K range again. I did this to get a better pattern out of the bulb as I believe the little bulb used for the high beams may have been messing the pattern up some. I got them installed today and will take some pictures of the old bulbs to show what they look like. And take some more pics to show how these bulbs look installed.

Dan

Hi everyone. My name is Robin and I'm new to the site. I haven't read all of the postings (which I'm sure I should do) but I see you guys are talking about HID lights. I just put a set in my girlfriend's '08 Sport Trac and they turned out pretty nice. Stock it's an H13 dual-filament bulb. We got a bi-xenon kit (@ 8000k) and the install turned out pretty nice. I'll post pictures later if anyone would like to see. But if you installed off road lights and want to keep them on with your high beams and low beams on, you gotta use a relay on your low beam AND one for your high beam because if you wire a relay to both hig had low wires, it will end up shorting the system out (either at the battery fuse to the primary HID relay ot the transformer ballasts). I have some knowledge about HID and lighting so I'll try to be as helpful as possible. I own a 2007 F-150 and installed an HID set in my truck but I got a dual halo and projector set for my headlights so I only needed a low beam kit (9006 @ 8000k). Check out this site...http://www.cardomain.com/id/phattacorider

Thanks for the help, but I found a diagram online that I used to wire up my low beams to a relay system triggered by the high beams. Nice truck by the way.

Dan

So far everything is working great, no troubles at all. The only thing I did do was aim my headlights a little higher and it made a world of difference in what I could see. I'm still tinkering with my Hellas trying to get them aimed right where I want them for the best lighting. But I am happy with these and have not yet been flashed by anyone at all. I did order a set of the black chrome housings and markers yesterday, so we will see how the light output is compared to stock with them.

Dan

I'm going to be getting 6000K Bi-Xenon hids.. both HID low/high.. the difference in high n low is the actual bulb moving forward n backward to change the beam pattern..

I don't know if the high beam is any better.. but I couldn't stand not having it.. and it's not too much more from the single beam kit to the dual..

Any updates on the black housings?

No, other than the fact that I sold them already because my explorer was totaled the day the lights came in.

What!?

You think this might have been the wrong thread to post that in? It's about Dual Beam.. [not to sound like an ass...]

Although, the "high beam" on HIDs aren't much better than the low beam.. [Keep in mind, I'm talking about HID high beam, not halogen]

Yeah, but I ended up switching out to the single beam anyway because of how lousy the "high" beam was. They had also sent me a 9004 kit instead of the 9007 I needed. I really miss driving at night with those lights, the rental chevy I have now sucks when in low beam, there is very little light, but the high beam is a different story.

Back