91-09 Explorer 5" of lift for under 300.00 | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91-09 Explorer 5" of lift for under 300.00

Thanks. I have previously used dedicated buggies to navigate the 2 mile long rolling trail into camp but now I am converting my wife's Explorer into my on/off road vehicle. So, I want it as high as is needed for the swap (3 feet or more, rolling) , but at the same time keeping it somewhat street looking. It is a completly stock 2002, 4x4, V8, Explorer with 255/70/16's we have owned since new. I will probably get 31's or 33's first, then do some sort of lift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You really need to get a serious suspension lift as its what gets your electrics (read relay boxes) up out of the way & if your going through deep water that's going to be a BIG problem.
Explorers & deep water don't mix

wetxplorer.jpg

as I can attest to after this embarrassing moment, electrics (alarm cut-off relay) stalled it then got hydro-locked.

I just got done doing some research for you gotflex and I believe all you can do is the body lift. If you do the shackles or aal or tt it messes with the air ride sensors and what not. But even with just the body lift you should be able to clear 33's with some trimming and 32's without a problem.

so i want to do shackles and the torsion thing, but my dad said that when you do it to the front end it makes the steering wheel turned one way, so to drive its a pain in the ass because the steering wheel is sideways to drive straight.

so basically what i want to know is if this is true for like only 1.5" of lift and if it is true how can i fix it to have the wheel straigt. thanks for anyone who can tell me from there experience of lifting their front end.

so i want to do shackles and the torsion thing, but my dad said that when you do it to the front end it makes the steering wheel turned one way, so to drive its a pain in the ass because the steering wheel is sideways to drive straight.

so basically what i want to know is if this is true for like only 1.5" of lift and if it is true how can i fix it to have the wheel straigt. thanks for anyone who can tell me from there experience of lifting their front end.

I have no idea what you're father is talking about, because that makes no sense to me at all. I've done shackles, TT, and BL, and have not had my steering wheel change at all, other than vibrations at higher speeds. TT has no change on the steering assembly, and neither do shackles. Shackles only alter the arch of the rear leaf springs, and TT pushes the front of the vehicle upward. The only way to mess up your steering is through a BL, and thats if you dont hold the wheel aligned when you disconnect the upper and lower shafts to insert to steering extension. Try to get some more info from him though, I'm interested to find out what he thinks we're doing when we do shacks/TT.

I have no idea what you're father is talking about, because that makes no sense to me at all. I've done shackles, TT, and BL, and have not had my steering wheel change at all, other than vibrations at higher speeds. TT has no change on the steering assembly, and neither do shackles. Shackles only alter the arch of the rear leaf springs, and TT pushes the front of the vehicle upward. The only way to mess up your steering is through a BL, and thats if you dont hold the wheel aligned when you disconnect the upper and lower shafts to insert to steering extension. Try to get some more info from him though, I'm interested to find out what he thinks we're doing when we do shacks/TT.

Have to agree with you here, after doing the TT & shackles I can still (only tested it guys LOL) drive & brake in a straight line with no hands. :D

he said that he did it to a chevy truck of his for a snow plow and it changes the length between the steering arm to the wheels (or something to that effect) , maybe explorers setup is different or something, idk

no because the tt simply lowers the arms lower by 2 inches, i did it to my 95 I had in Texas and it didnt change a thing. Drove just like it did before untill i put on the 31s the the stearing was a lil stiffer but the tt and shackle made no diffrence in the wheel. just make sure you have an allignment done after words and even that should not affect your wheels position if THEY do it right.

arghhh I can't find a body lift online for an '00 explorer? it's like they skip 2000 models, anyone know where I can find a 3" BL for a 2000??? please HELP!

you can't get one for an explorer, you have to use one for a ranger, PA 883 I think is the part number you're looking for....

Si

arghhh I can't find a body lift online for an '00 explorer? it's like they skip 2000 models, anyone know where I can find a 3" BL for a 2000??? please HELP!

Try reading the very first post in this thread. It's as clear as day. :rolleyes:

HI! New guy here, would like to know if there is anykind of write up like this one for 01-05 Sport Trac?

Its the same thing for a Sport Trac.

Just wanted to say thansk for the great post.

What a write up!

what does everyone recommend AAL or shackles? im new to everything about lifting vehicles so im sorry if his is a dumb question.

what does everyone recommend AAL or shackles? im new to everything about lifting vehicles so im sorry if his is a dumb question.

id say go with the shackles, unless your rear end is really sagging then go with both. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That depends are you 2 or 4 wheel and how talk uou want to go

Back