91-09 Explorer 5" of lift for under 300.00 | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91-09 Explorer 5" of lift for under 300.00

Lift

Thanks for the info. WOW!! an add a leaf for 35.00. You cant beat that. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How's that sloped BL holding up for your tranny? I don't wanna get a few extra inches for cheap and then have to pay for a new trans.

How's that sloped BL holding up for your tranny? I don't wanna get a few extra inches for cheap and then have to pay for a new trans.

It doesn't effect the tranny one bit

ok, awesome. I remember reading that Nick had some trouble with his but he wasn't sure if the sloped BL affected it or not. thanks for the quick response.

:thumbsup:

Combine the body lift ,tt and shackles and the 4 Inch Superlift, and you get almost 10 inches of lift on IFS.

That actually makes the Superlift kit worth buying, cause with all this and gears ,a 35 inch tire can be run with not that much cutting,,

steering extension????

i have a question for the 3" body lift>>>> the steering extension on the kit part # PA-883 for the ford ranger, can i be use in 98 ford explorer sport?????? :rolleyes:

Yes.

spring over + add a leaf - 98 ltd 5.0 awd

99ex22, Great job buddy. Very helpful stuff. just kinda wondering about spring over axle, that should be good for a couple inches right? and if it is do they sell a kit? and also im thinking my stock springs are a little wore out am i fine with an add a leaf ?

99ex22, Great job buddy. Very helpful stuff. just kinda wondering about spring over axle, that should be good for a couple inches right? and if it is do they sell a kit? and also im thinking my stock springs are a little wore out am i fine with an add a leaf ?

Spring over axle will give you about 5.5" of lift in the rear. Superlift sells a spring over kit for the explorer for about 140.00. You would need to do a sloped body lift or purchase a 4" kit for the front. Im running the superlift spring over kit, sloped body lift and 35x12.5's and couldn't be happier with the way it handles on and off the road. No frame hanging under the body like you get with the 3" body lift, and a TON more ground clearance:thumbsup:

yes!

Well I searched around and noticed we didn't have a thread with good information for the newbies who want to lift their second gen and it gets tiring explaining it everyday I sign on here so I thought I would create a page that will help people understand what they need to do to lift their trucks. I'm not it anyway trying to score free elite membership for a while as I am trying to make my life a little easier so I don't have to type this stuff again. So here it goes:

Disclaimer: Do at your own risk. I will not be held responsible for personal injury or vehicle damage.

Warrior Shackles
Most of us on the forum have started with the Shackles and TT. Shackles as in lift shackles for the rear leaf springs and TT as in torsion bar twist in the front. You can pick up universal lift shackles at pretty much any auto parts store for cheap But I recommend getting the Warrior Products shackles part # War-153.

You can pick up a set of Warrior Products lift shackles at www.desertrat.com for 69.95

Here is a fantastic write up on the installation of the shackles created by a member on here Four0Sport...http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212451 FYI If you live in the south or the west coast it will not be as difficult as we do not use salt on our roads.

Add-A-Leaf
You can also do a Add-A-Leaf in the rear instead of the shackles or with the shackles. You need Part number EXP13120 35.00 from www.4wheelparts.com and here is a great write up on how to install them by a member on here V8BoatBuilder...http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97676

Torsion Twist
After your done with lifting the rear your going to want to level it out a little bit by cranking up the torsion bars up front. Here is a great thread created by a member on here CBoug76...http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47345 All you do is tighten that adjuster bolt on both sides in the picture and it lifts the front end. You cannot exceed 2" though do to CV Joint binding so measure carefully. You might need a longer bolt for the driver side to get the full 2" of lift. The reason being is the gas tank and the driver always being on the drivers side. Here is the link for the bolt that you might need...http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0121853 I got mine at my local ACE Hardware store. Also your going to need to Get an alignment afterwords as you may have thrown it off a little bit. If you don't get one it's not that big of a deal. The truck will still drive straight and it won't harm anything other than maybe wearing your tires un-evenly if you go without for a long period of time.

Now that you have roughly 2" of lift you can fit a 31x10.5 tire without any rubbing or a 32" tire with some trimming.

3" Body Lift
Now if that's not big enough for you, you can do a 3" body lift, it will run you right around 180.00. If your truck is a 1995-1997 you need part # PA-853 for the ford ranger, If your truck is a 1998-2001 you need part # PA-883 for the ford ranger. I purchased mine from www.suspensionconnection.com
Click on body lifts, ford body lifts, then ranger. Here is a pretty good write up on how to install the 883 kit, Its on a sport but it's pretty much the same process for us 4door guys. Also I think he welded something in the installation which is not needed.http://mudmarine.tripod.com/3bodyliftinstall/index.html And here is a BETTER write up on how to install the 883 kit. It's on a sport again but it's the same process for 4 doors.....http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240957

The front bumper brackets that come in the kit work perfect. The rear ones, not so much. In the 883 kit you can flip the brackets that come in the kit upside down and use the left one on the right and the right one on the left. I'm not sure if the same goes for the 853 kit though.
If not you can make your own or get some made. Here is a link for the brackets....http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172250

Other than that everything you need comes in the kit except for the bolts directly behind the 2 front seats so you use the factory ford bolts out of the very rear of the cargo area for those two. Here are the bolt lengths you need for every mount...I got this info from CAHUNTERMAN when I was in the process of installing my lift.

Front mounts - 180MM
Mounts that are in front of the front seats - 140MM
Mounts just under the rear of the front seats - I used the stock bolts from the very rear mounts.
Mounts in the front of cargo area - 160MM
Mounts in rear of cargo area - 200MM

For those of you who don't like body lifts super lift and trail master both sell a 4" suspension lift for over 2000.00 but you don't gain anymore than you do with the body lift due to the Torsion bars. All the suspension lift does is drop everything down 4" so save your money and do the BL

Now that you have roughly 5" of lift for a total price of around 290.00 you can clear 33x12.5 tires.

You first gen explorer owners can do the exact same thing, You just need to purchase Coils Spacers to raise the front 2" and of course buy the body lift that you need. They make a 2" body lift and a 3" body lift for the first gens.

Third and 4th gen explorer owners can do the 883 body lift and roadbully's spacers. Here is where to get the spacers....http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2013988#post2013988 And here is how to install the body lift on a 3rd gen....http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219234

I hope this helps a lot of people, I know it would have been a big help for me when I was trying to do all this.

excellent!!!! thanks for the article!

I've looked all over the place and can't seem to find a place in Canada that sells the warrior 153 shackles. I've found a few places in the States that ship to Canada but the shipping rates are brutal.

Would anyone know where to get them in Canada? I don't want the cheap knock offs.

Thanks

So today I did the WAR-153 shackles, the TT, and the AAL on my '01 explorer sport. It looks like I'll have to buy the longer torsion rod bolts to get a full 2" on the front. My rods are 'D' according to the door jam sticker. My ex rides alot smoother now, I really thought it was gonna be a stiffer ride but i like it. I'll be putting my 3" body lift on in 2 weeks then I'll have pics. Oh I also got the FX4 sticker set off ebay just for S & G's.

So I have 2.5 inch wide leafs... is that what everyone's got? or do I need something different?

So I have 2.5 inch wide leafs... is that what everyone's got? or do I need something different?

All explorer leafs are the same except some are stiffer than others. Your fine.

thanks

cool thank you. I'm doing an AAL and shackles since my leafs are so worn.then a TT OBVIOUSLY. soon I will no longer be a noob!

Maybe this has been covered, I only read 7 out of ten pages. But why are we spending $200-$260 dollars on a body lift that we can only use a few parts out of? From what I have read, the bolts are too long, the bumper brackets don't work, and there are other parts that are wasted. Summit sells 3" blocks with an OD of 2" for $3 each. Or a 3" block with a 3" od for $6 each. It seems the only part that would be tricky to fab would be the steering extension, but cutting/sleeving/rewelding the shaft would take about 15 minutes and would have no bolt-on extension to worry about. We have to fab at least one set of the bumper brackets anyway, buy new bolts, it seems like $200+ isn't getting us much and would buy plenty of steel for fabbing. What else is required? Am I missing something?
Thanks.
Chris

It Depends on which year rig you have, and which kit you use. Some can use all the kit, some can use most of the kit.

Not everybody can fab anything. Not all live in rural areas with a garage & tools like a welder or drill press/band saw, etc...

The radiator drop brackets, the E-brake drop bracket, the ground strap brackets, the steering extension, & the bumper brackets, are not easy to make for the avg person.

We can use most all the bolts in the kits, minus the couple we re-use.

Some people can afford to pay for the kit, and would rather pay, than have to make everything . Just a convenience for those that can.

Some people want to work on their vehicle, and getting a kit to install in a weekend is an appealing idea for some. Father/son bonding time, friends gathering, something to do, etc... The idea of having to figure out how to make everything, is not as appealing for most. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

True, I was just curious as the kit doesn't really seem simple in the first place, as it seems that bumper brackets have to be fabbed regardless? I guess I need to research exactly what the kit comes with and go from there.

Back