91-09 Explorer 5" of lift for under 300.00 | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91-09 Explorer 5" of lift for under 300.00

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is mine with 32's on it with only tt and my fabed shackels.

255/75/17 BFG KM Baja's

11339075-64e6-43f2-b242-e111f542e043.png

I'm Guesing that the 1997 Mountaineer is just like the AWD 1998 explorer.
So I need the 883 BL too right?

Just needing to know for sure what BL kit to buy.

Thanks. Jay

Yes, you need the 883.

I guess I need to refresh my browser once in a while! lol! You got your answer already. Nice Truck, very unique.

Thank you, just didnt want what every one else has.

And as it was... I was told it looked like a Manny van. Ha HA.

All I see around my area is Jeeps and Blazers, so it stands out a bit now.
:p

So currently my rear axle is above the leafs and I know you can make it to where the axle is under the leafs. It's a 2WD 2001 X and I was wondering how much rear lift that might give me before I dish out a wad of money for a suspension lift.

So currently my rear axle is above the leafs and I know you can make it to where the axle is under the leafs. It's a 2WD 2001 X and I was wondering how much rear lift that might give me before I dish out a wad of money for a suspension lift.

That is called a SOA (spring over axle) conversion and you will get 5.5" to 6" of lift and sometimes more depending on how tall the spring perches are that you put on top of the axle and how thick your spring pack is.

~Mark

Well I searched around and noticed we didn't have a thread with good information for the newbies who want to lift their second gen and it gets tiring explaining it everyday I sign on here so I thought I would create a page that will help people understand what they need to do to lift their trucks. I'm not it anyway trying to score free elite membership for a while as I am trying to make my life a little easier so I don't have to type this stuff again. So here it goes:

Disclaimer: Do at your own risk. I will not be held responsible for personal injury or vehicle damage.

Warrior Shackles
Most of us on the forum have started with the Shackles and TT. Shackles as in lift shackles for the rear leaf springs and TT as in torsion bar twist in the front. You can pick up universal lift shackles at pretty much any auto parts store for cheap But I recommend getting the Warrior Products shackles part # War-153.

You can pick up a set of Warrior Products lift shackles at www.desertrat.com for 69.95

Here is a fantastic write up on the installation of the shackles created by a member on here Four0Sport...http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212451 FYI If you live in the south or the west coast it will not be as difficult as we do not use salt on our roads.

Add-A-Leaf
You can also do a Add-A-Leaf in the rear instead of the shackles or with the shackles. You need Part number EXP13120 35.00 from www.4wheelparts.com and here is a great write up on how to install them by a member on here V8BoatBuilder...http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97676

Torsion Twist
After your done with lifting the rear your going to want to level it out a little bit by cranking up the torsion bars up front. Here is a great thread created by a member on here CBoug76...http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47345 All you do is tighten that adjuster bolt on both sides in the picture and it lifts the front end. You cannot exceed 2" though do to CV Joint binding so measure carefully. You might need a longer bolt for the driver side to get the full 2" of lift. The reason being is the gas tank and the driver always being on the drivers side. Here is the link for the bolt that you might need...http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0121853 I got mine at my local ACE Hardware store. Also your going to need to Get an alignment afterwords as you may have thrown it off a little bit. If you don't get one it's not that big of a deal. The truck will still drive straight and it won't harm anything other than maybe wearing your tires un-evenly if you go without for a long period of time.

Now that you have roughly 2" of lift you can fit a 31x10.5 tire without any rubbing or a 32" tire with some trimming.

3" Body Lift
Now if that's not big enough for you, you can do a 3" body lift, it will run you right around 180.00. If your truck is a 1995-1997 you need part # PA-853 for the ford ranger, If your truck is a 1998-2001 you need part # PA-883 for the ford ranger. I purchased mine from www.suspensionconnection.com
Click on body lifts, ford body lifts, then ranger. Here is a pretty good write up on how to install the 883 kit, Its on a sport but it's pretty much the same process for us 4door guys. Also I think he welded something in the installation which is not needed.http://mudmarine.tripod.com/3bodyliftinstall/index.html And here is a BETTER write up on how to install the 883 kit. It's on a sport again but it's the same process for 4 doors.....http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240957

The front bumper brackets that come in the kit work perfect. The rear ones, not so much. In the 883 kit you can flip the brackets that come in the kit upside down and use the left one on the right and the right one on the left. I'm not sure if the same goes for the 853 kit though.
If not you can make your own or get some made. Here is a link for the brackets....http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172250

Other than that everything you need comes in the kit except for the bolts directly behind the 2 front seats so you use the factory ford bolts out of the very rear of the cargo area for those two. Here are the bolt lengths you need for every mount...I got this info from CAHUNTERMAN when I was in the process of installing my lift.

Front mounts - 180MM
Mounts that are in front of the front seats - 140MM
Mounts just under the rear of the front seats - I used the stock bolts from the very rear mounts.
Mounts in the front of cargo area - 160MM
Mounts in rear of cargo area - 200MM

For those of you who don't like body lifts super lift and trail master both sell a 4" suspension lift for over 2000.00 but you don't gain anymore than you do with the body lift due to the Torsion bars. All the suspension lift does is drop everything down 4" so save your money and do the BL

Now that you have roughly 5" of lift for a total price of around 290.00 you can clear 33x12.5 tires.

You first gen explorer owners can do the exact same thing, You just need to purchase Coils Spacers to raise the front 2" and of course buy the body lift that you need. They make a 2" body lift and a 3" body lift for the first gens.

Third and 4th gen explorer owners can do the 883 body lift and roadbully's spacers. Here is where to get the spacers....http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2013988#post2013988 And here is how to install the body lift on a 3rd gen....http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219234

I hope this helps a lot of people, I know it would have been a big help for me when I was trying to do all this.

I'm thinking about doing all the above to my 2000 Mountaineer but I'm concerned that I'll eventually end up replacing a lot of the parts that will come in the Superlift kit anyway so I might as well get some height out of it while I'm at it. Doesn't the Warrior Shackles hyper-extend the leafs even more than they already are?? Seems like a half-a** way to do things. Just my pov.

if i just get the 153 shackles and monroe shocks in the rear and a tt up front do you guys think i could clear 265 tires?

I'm trying to find the correct parts in the UK to gain 5"+ lift . This writeup has helped to an extent, but is anyone aware of the availability of parts in the UK?

I just ordered the WAR-153 Shackles, EXP13120 AAL, and RS5000 Series Rear Shocks and can't wait to tear into the back end of my '95 Explorer XLT 4x4.
Thanks 99ex22 for the consolidated post. This got me convinced to dig into this project.
Before and After pictures to follow!!

Can someone brake this down so I can order what I need to get a 6in lift so I can run 35s

Can someone brake this down so I can order what I need to get a 6in lift so I can run 35s

If it's for your 95, the biggest suspension lift available is a 4" drop bracket kit. You can then crank on your torsion bars for another 2" of lift. Even then, you might have to do a little trimming of the front fenders so 35's don't rub while turning, and under compression.

If cutting the body, front bumper corners, and hammering pinch folds doesn't bother you, you can get 35's to fit without the bracket lift and a 3" body lift. You will still need to lift the rear with lift springs or an axle flip.

Spend some time searching the forum for detailed answers. There is a metric ton of good info at your disposal here.

If it's for your 95, the biggest suspension lift available is a 4" drop bracket kit. You can then crank on your torsion bars for another 2" of lift. Even then, you might have to do a little trimming of the front fenders so 35's don't rub while turning, and under compression.

If cutting the body, front bumper corners, and hammering pinch folds doesn't bother you, you can get 35's to fit without the bracket lift and a 3" body lift. You will still need to lift the rear with lift springs or an axle flip.

Spend some time searching the forum for detailed answers. There is a metric ton of good info at your disposal here.
Where can I find the drop bracket at? And thank u for ur help

I'm hoping to start my bodylift at the weekend. One issue I may run into and I've searched for answers but so far found nothing, is I have a Westin Safar light bar on my Explorer... I'm wondering how I'd move it upwards to sit where it needs to be.. Any suggestions/tips/pointers?

Si

I'm hoping to start my bodylift at the weekend. One issue I may run into and I've searched for answers but so far found nothing, is I have a Westin Safar light bar on my Explorer... I'm wondering how I'd move it upwards to sit where it needs to be.. Any suggestions/tips/pointers?

Si
Cut the frame brackets on vertical, weld in extension plates to raise it.

Back