91-94 Explorer Fuel Tank Swap Options | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91-94 Explorer Fuel Tank Swap Options

Martypongo

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Mahopac, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer-Meyer plow
Hi all,
Wondering if anybody has had a tank failure on a 91-94 explorer?

Replacement tanks are no longer available. I use my truck for plowing and am not ready to retire her.

Perhaps a later model tank would fit. Any experience and/or advice would be appreciated.

Marty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A popular offroader’s mod is to swap in a Bronco II gas tank, it mounts between the frame rails in the spare tire location. Add d bonus, that might give you better traction for plowing.

I put a second gen tank in my first Gen. You need to cut out the factory rivited bracket and swap in the second gen front bracket. But the pump is completely different.

Only did this because I swapped in a SOHC from a 2000 into my '91.

I put a second gen tank in my first Gen. You need to cut out the factory rivited bracket and swap in the second gen front bracket. But the pump is completely different.

Only did this because I swapped in a SOHC from a 2000 into my '91.
Sounds like it could be a viable option. I’ll have to see if I can find front bracket. Do you happen to have any photographs that can help me? Also, Was using the later model pump a hassle or did it just connect and plug right in

the Gen II tank can work, 95-01 Explorer and Mountaineer
The fuel pressure did not change until 1998 so any tank before then will have the correct fuel pressure to run your 4.0 v6 and it will just be plumbing for you (adapt some fuel lines)
You could also try your local craigslist? see if you can find a gen I parting out
What happened to your existing tank?

the Gen II tank can work, 95-01 Explorer and Mountaineer
The fuel pressure did not change until 1998 so any tank before then will have the correct fuel pressure to run your 4.0 v6 and it will just be plumbing for you (adapt some fuel lines)
You could also try your local craigslist? see if you can find a gen I parting out
What happened to your existing tank?
The metal ring in my plastic fuel tank that holds the pump in place rotted.

sure enough I went black friday online shopping for you yesterday and nobody sells a replacement tank! SOB!!

You need a junk yard tank
or
grapht in the gen II tank
or
convert to BII tank or aftermarket fuel cell
Gen II tank is likely the easiest path

I ended up finding a tank in a 93 Explorer at a pick and pull in southern California. The bolts and nuts were easy to remove and the skid plate was in excellent condition. The only problem was that the tank was drilled at the scrap yard to empty it. I had to bring it to a plastic welding shop to patch the hole.

Thank you guys for your advice.

yes almost all junk yards punch holes in the gas tanks and transmission pans it sucks so bad...... they also dent all the rear driveshafts with their loader forks.
For these parts private party craigslist or Facebook is the way to go, or plastic weld it shut!!! Smart!!!
Thanks for sharing, at least the plastic tank wont corrode!!

I ended up finding a tank in a 93 Explorer at a pick and pull in southern California. The bolts and nuts were easy to remove and the skid plate was in excellent condition. The only problem was that the tank was drilled at the scrap yard to empty it. I had to bring it to a plastic welding shop to patch the hole.

Thank you guys for your advice.

As it turns out, my Explorer had too many problems to make it worth fixing. So now I have a plastic fuel tank and skid plate with all of the hardware and straps available for sale. Anybody interested should reach out. I can crate and ship it for you.

As it turns out, my Explorer had too many problems to make it worth fixing. So now I have a plastic fuel tank and skid plate with all of the hardware and straps available for sale. Anybody interested should reach out. I can crate and ship it for you.
I know this thread is a bit old, but I would be interested if it's still available? Thanks.

I know this thread is a bit old, but I would be interested if it's still available? Thanks.
Yes it is. I haven't thought about it since I posted and recently sold my plow truck. Don't need it in southern California. I was starting to clean out my garage last weekend and noticed it on the bottom shelf. I was planning to list it for sale this coming weekend. LMK if you're seriously interested and I'll hold off until we talk about it.

Yes it is. I haven't thought about it since I posted and recently sold my plow truck. Don't need it in southern California. I was starting to clean out my garage last weekend and noticed it on the bottom shelf. I was planning to list it for sale this coming weekend. LMK if you're seriously interested and I'll hold off until we talk about it.
bthompson47f@hotmail.com
Shoot me an email with an approx shipping cost to 59901, please...when you get a chance. Thank you.

The fuel tank and skid plate are still available and are in excellent condition. I can crate and ship fairly easily. Contact me if you need a skid plate, fuel tank or both for your first gen explorer.

The fuel tank and skid plate are still available and are in excellent condition. I can crate and ship fairly easily. Contact me if you need a skid plate, fuel tank or both for your first gen explorer.
You still have this skid plate available? Any sense on the shipping to 48808?

You still have this skid plate available? Any sense on the shipping to 48808?
He hasn’t visited the board in 11 months, but maybe he has email notifications on...

Back