'91 - '94 roof question

MattHarrell

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Valley, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
I would like to get an internal gun rack that stretches across the inside of the roof. I've seen a few and they usually seem to mount to the edges of the roof with some sheet screws. The directions warn that you should ensure you have a double-walled roof so the holes don't protrude outside the truck. Anyone know whether the older Explorers do? I don't really want to pull down the trim / headliner to check.

I know there's a double thickness piece in the middle behind the dome light - found that when I was mounting my antenna.

Do the guns point at the back of your head or at the people in back of you?????

I will post a pic of what a 91 looks like inside without a headliner installed

Well, I was fashioning one in the past that would hang on both sides and they would point backwards.

Most of the current ones I've seen stretch sideways across the roof and mount to both edges of the truck. Keeps the guns up there in the headliner area so they're not very obvious but yet also out of the way.

A picture would be very handy. I'm really just interested in the edges around where the plastic trim meets the headliner. Both the one I was working on and all of these seem to mount in that general area.

Back