91-94 water pumps, how long they last? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91-94 water pumps, how long they last?

EliteConcept

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
LaPorte, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Civic LX
so my 92 is pushing 119,000 miles, and if i must say for being 11 years old she drives like new, no major problems what so ever.

but summer is here and the past few days its been 85+ here, and i've been wondering how good the stock water pumps are on these trucks...
is there any indication i can look for to check if its going bad?
i have no reason to suspect its going bad, but if theres a way i can check it i'll do it.

just wanna make sure the 92 can stay cool in the warm summer heat for another summer....or if i need to check and or replace the water pump before the pump dumps out on me...

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just flush system every year and look for leaks my 92 has the orginal and i have 114000:D

hhehhee vert, i hate to flush the system and put all new coolant in but listen why

i have a leak, i think , almost postive its a seal between the radiator and a hose going to the radiator, so sometimes when its cool outside i start the truck and turn it off before it reaches normal temp , then it will leak some coolant,

so i hate to put all new coolant in , because frankly its all basicaly new to begin with....

but i guess i could save it , but still flush the system , and reuse my coolant.

theres an idea,
now i'm thinkin!!!!!

Elite

I know where you are at my lower hose leaks a little too but not enough to make me want to change it,I figure when the water pump goes out I will change all the hoses:D

hey sounds like a plan to me, i'll probably do that too..

Elite

When mine goes I plan on going to a higher flow pump:D

I would think that you could drain your coolant, put a
new seal and clamp on that hose, prolly at both ends,
and your leak would go away. Would cost like $10 total
I think and would save you money in buying more
coolant.

If the Hose itself is cracked or leaking, that you could
just pick one up for not that much and replace it too.

Its not that hard, I did it in my '74 chevy and '85 Dodge
that I use to have.

Thats just my thought, and I am not a car
expert yet* though. :)

Damn, yall need to drive your truck more ... I have a 96 with close to 112K miles :p

:p hehe, I'll catch up to that pretty soon, I have 87k
on my '94, and I am averaging 4,500miles/month. hehe

I bet that pump won't fail for a while. Just service the coolant every so often and you should be fine. I put a little over 200,000 miles on the Navajo before finally giving it a break and making it my dedicated off roader. The only parts not factory on the engine are the KKM, intake manifold gasket and fuel pressure regulator. And the gasket and regulator both failed between 185 and 200k. Going for 300k now, waiting for the tranny to fail but it shows no signs of slowing down.

Mine just went at almost 200K. You can get a Ford remanufactured (although I would go with a larger flow one) for about $30. When I replaced mine my coolant needle stopped cycling and it is definitely cooler. I think its a good idea to spend the $50 or so and 2 hours before summer. Your engine will thank you.

Originally posted by rossneag
When I replaced mine my coolant needle stopped cycling and it is definitely cooler.

Do you mean that the temp gauge stopped fluctuating? Maybe my pump is going.

My temp gage if fluxing too. Though I hear that it does
that on a lot of Rangers and Explorers 91-94. It did
on my '93 Ranger, and does on my '94 X.

how much are these high flow water pumps you speak of?

and when is this "free weekend"? oppps wrong thought.........

I replaced my water pump at a little over 140,000 miles, not because it died, but I replaced my lower intake manifold and had access to it and thought why not, cheap insurance I thought. I replaced it with a new unit. Although my origional one with 140.000 was still working just fine. I'm at 164,000 now and looking forward to 200,000!!! I love this truck!

Yeah, who manufactures these high flow pumps that you guys are talking about?

I just ripped the entire top end off of my motor and put in a new water pump in the process.

Check summit catalog.I think mine was a edelbrock pump:D

so these pumps are difficult to install?

Elite

The pumps are not hard to install,just takes a little time:eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 140K on my 93 and my temp gauge was going all over the place. So while I was tearing apart my engine to replace intake manifold gaskets, I also replaced the water pump. I should have it all back together by tonight. About time too, I haven't been able to drive my ex for a 2 weeks and I'm going through withdrawals. Its not hard to replace. You just have to take off the belt, shroud, fan, and fan clutch (special tool required, but you can borrow it from Autozone). Just remember to seal the gaskets with RTV silicone.

Back