91-94X Battery Cables | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91-94X Battery Cables

...If you do find something better than these or, equal and cheaper, let us know...;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just took those pics of these cables, matched them to sets from autozone.com. AZ is cheaper :)

Positive cable: $23.99

Negative cable: $21.99

However, they are special order only bah.

Thanks for the info Tbars. Yet another issue that needs attention!

I just took those pics of these cables, matched them to sets from autozone.com. AZ is cheaper :)

Positive cable: $23.99

Negative cable: $21.99

However, they are special order only bah.

...The AZ ones are cheaper in several ways :thumbdwn:

...If it has to do with electrical, stay away From AZ..

I've bought many many parts from AZ with no troubles whatsoever...

Now About those Cables in the Ranger...............:p:

...Updated with more info and pics...

I just had a battery terminal repair kit installed on my '91 Explorer XLT. The cables were fine, but I also cleaned them regularly and treated them with terminal sealant. There is just enough slack for one repair. Next time, I will have to replace them.

The old cable ends were so messed up from almost 20 years of battery replacements and removals. Repair is definitely easier and less expensive. I would recommend this if there is not too much corrosion like the photos show in this thread.

Repair is very foolish and unwise for a battery cable terminal end. As tons of people have learned the hard way, corrosion kills the connection around the repair. The vehicle will eventually not start, because not enough juice gets to the starter.

The only proper solution is what the OP here did, replace the battery cables, the entire cable. Only properly attached terminal ends are appropriate for a feed cable to a starter. The crap bolt on ends are not good enough, they work for a short time, but not long term. Don't do that to yourself or the next buyer, fix it right the first time. Regards,

Looks like I am the next person to add to the list of needing a new cable :)

Just got stranded at a gas station for a broken negative terminal connector on the 94. I was able to "Clamp" it on with a set of Vise grips to get the truck started and haul ass home.

Now I don't have any Napa stores closer than 40 miles from me, but I do have other stores available. I read this entire post, and decided to replace with new instead of a patch term. So if Napa is out of the equation, who else would one recommend?

Available stores local are:
Orielly's Auto Parts (Main headquarters here)
AutoZone
Bumper to bumper
Pep Boys

Thanks in advance for any input :)

...Sorry to hear this...Sometimes they go slowly and other times they just quit..

...From just knowing 3 of 4 of your choices and not being able to see their cable in hand, I would go with Orielly's...

Thanks Tbars.

It just cracked in half at the bolt section. This is because the connector didn't snug up to the post before it maxed out, and the ends were touching already. I had to keep on cranking on it to get it to be tight.

Just me? :confused: Or has anybody else noticed this? It is the same on the 95.

...If you are meaning the length of the cables are short, this is one of the reasons why I like these NAPA cables...They are plenty long with slack at all mounting points...My Project X has a 3" bodylift and the negative cable still fit...

...Shopping for these cables I was running around with an old one off another X and was comparing wire, mounting points, and length...They all seem to be different and most seemed shorter than the NAPA cables...

...Also, Optima batteries are smaller in height and can be mounted on their side, so this would gain some slack if you do wind up with shorter cables...:D

Sorry, didnt mean a short cable. I meant the terminal ends on the stock cables are too big for the battery posts. I had to add a copper ring over the battery post to make it bigger so the connector would get tight on my 95. I should have done that to the 94 also. I have an Optima red top in the 95, and a Oreilly brand in the 94, both have the same problem.

These add just enough to the post for a tighter fit. Just wish I had used them in the 94 :(

Looks like I am the next person to add to the list of needing a new cable :)

Just got stranded at a gas station for a broken negative terminal connector on the 94. I was able to "Clamp" it on with a set of Vise grips to get the truck started and haul ass home.

Now I don't have any Napa stores closer than 40 miles from me, but I do have other stores available. I read this entire post, and decided to replace with new instead of a patch term. So if Napa is out of the equation, who else would one recommend?

Available stores local are:
Orielly's Auto Parts (Main headquarters here)
AutoZone
Bumper to bumper
Pep Boys

Thanks in advance for any input :)

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...2?counter=1&itemIdentifier=296117_82191_7849_

I am guessing they are probably made by the same wire harness place no matter where you buy them.
If you choose Autozone, Go on-line and Check a few stores near you.. The prices do vary. Print ou the cheapest price and take it to your local store they will honor the lower price.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...2?counter=1&itemIdentifier=296117_82191_7849_

I am guessing they are probably made by the same wire harness place no matter where you buy them.

..If this was in fact the case, Walmart would be the best price but this is not true at all...This would be a good time to compare these two same cables...

...Auto parts stores do and will change suppliers, and stores like Autozone will buy from the cheapest manuf/supplier...Stores like Napa and Kragen/Shucks/O'reilly for the most part will have quality parts available from different manuf. and will carry these same parts for years while standing behind their product...

...Napa cable found in most Napa stores or can be had in an hour...
631836.jpg

Specs..
Part Number: CBL 717991
Price: 26.99
Price
Unit

Features & Benefits Made In USA, Premium Quality, Synthetic Rubber Jacket (Not PVC Or Vinyl).
Warranty Limited Lifetime for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks
Attributes Battery Cable End Type : Lead-Free Top Post
Battery Cable Gauge(s) : 4
Battery Cable Length : 50"
Auxiliary Lead : 8 ga x 23" w/ 3/8" Ring
Auxiliary Lead 2 : 12 ga 2 Pin 14" OE Type
Hazards or Warnings : Battery Posts, Terminals, & Related Accessories Contain Lead & Lead Compounds, Chemicals Known To The State Of California To Cause Cancer & Reproductive Harm. Wash Hands After Handling!
Lug Hole Diameter : 13/32"
Main Cable Notes : 30" From Battery Terminal To Center Lug, 3/8" Lug Hole
Material Safety Data Sheet There is no MSDS for this item
Application Information: 1991 Ford Truck Explorer
Per Car Qty: 1

...Autozone's cable..

Specs...

Price:$21.99
Part Number: 01436
Weight: 1.05 lbs
Notes: Negative type 4 gauge; 2 wire lead; 49" length; top post; ring and quick connect terminals OE exact fit style.
Description: Top post with 2 leads, ring and quick connect terminals
Gauge: 4
Length: 49 in.
Shipping Information: Overnight and Two Day shipping are not available for PO Box, APO/FPO/DPO or US Territory addresses.

...Note the connections to the motor and frame mounts are different material as well as length..The price difference of $5 for in stock or same day in store pick up compared to 2-5 day wait on special order, and an inch difference in length to me is a wash...

...While the brand Lynx from AZ is an American brand that you have to special order from them, Napa keeps theirs in stock in store or at a nearby warehouse..AZ would rather sell you their Duralast and Duralast Gold products at a cheaper price and that's why they are in stock at their stores...

...Side note...The brand new Duralast gold Starter relay ($20 and best AZ had in stock) that I had just installed when I swapped my pos/cable and new high torque starter lasted 42 days...I was gone out of town for 21 days and the truck was started 5 times in the remaining days...:thumbdwn:..I threw in my old motorcraft relay and it's good to go...

...I am not bagging nor saying that Napa is the ultimate place to get a battery cable from but, when comparing apples to apples and keeping price, availability, and long term maintenance in mind while taking the cables to each store for comparison, in my opinion, they are easily found to be a quality American made part available when you walk in, the correct length with slack at mounting points, and at a reasonable price..:D

Tbars,

Did you check with Ford to see if either cable was available?

I'm wondering how the factory cables compare to Napa ones...

...I do it just for you..:p:

...Went to the local Ford (2) dealerships looking to order parts today anyway...Some dealerships may have these in stock...Mine had the neg cable in stock they thought but the closest dealership with the pos cable is Sacramento which they said would take a few days to get in...

...If I needed it rushed the cheapest it would be would be an additional 18% over the price they quoted me...

Positive cable p/n # F3TZ14300E....$73.56
Negative cable p/n # F1TZ14301C....$55.62

..As far as any sizing, specs, or info, they have nothing but part numbers...

...Ford parts from Dealerships are the best replacements of stock parts in my opinion but, I am a cash and carry kind of guy...When I need it, I need it now because that's the time I am working on my trucks...

...I do spend a lot of time though researching parts and pricing on the net and on the phone before I go shopping at local parts stores...Dealerships will always be higher in price with same or usually better quality but to me more importantly, they will generally have a 50% price increase every time I need a specific part (although the price of these cables are reasonable)...

...A stock part I was looking for today is $15.88 @...They informed me that next week the same part will be $42 @..:rolleyes:...I'm off to empty my change jar...:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rockauto.com has much better prices for the OE cables;

MOTORCRAFT Part # WC9050 {#F3TZ14300E} $41.79
MOTORCRAFT Part # WC9049 {#F37U14301EB, F3TZ14301E} $42.79

There's also those 5% discount coupon codes, plus no tax, so this might be the way to go if you gotta have OE cables.

Torrie at fastpartsnetwork.com, and our Ford dealer forum vendors such as FORDSVTPARTS has similar pricing as well.

I got these not long ago, and it's worth noting the new cables are now like the ones for newer Explorers, with smaller battery connectors (but still not the thin import-style as on the Napa cables) and standard-duty hardware instead of the heavier stuff I have on my factory cables.

I guess it comes down to what you want and what you're willing to spend, or whether you know someone at the local dealer or are on good terms with your local Napa counter person to get a better price at one place or the other. Either way, a new cable that has all the right connectors is definitely an improvement in safety and reliability over a broken or corroded one.

Back