91 Ex 2wd only getting around 14mpg ... lots of new parts help !! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 Ex 2wd only getting around 14mpg ... lots of new parts help !!

mccoyxx

Reaction score
City, State
Belfry,KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer 2wd
Hello, I recently purchased a 91 2wd Explorer ... I prefer a 4wd, but I got a great deal on this one showing 87k ... this is in the best shape body & frame that I have ever seen on one this model ... so I am very pleased with it even though it is a 2wd ... my iswue however is my mpg ... I had a 96 4wd & it got 15 ... I also had an 03 2wd & it got 22 ... why am I only getting 14 mpg ??? I have replaced plugs, wires, air filter,pcv valve, cleaned the MAF sensor ... it runs as smooth as a new vehicle and is not showing a CEL ... It is however terrible on top end ... it runs decent power up to around 45mph then it starts falling off bad ... I was wondering if my converter may be the issue, bit it doesn't have any smells or feel like it is getting too hot ... it also has no rattles if you tap it ... I am quite lost here

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its a first gen....and a explorer

Even though there is no CEL, try running a KOER test (see the sticky's on how to do it). Part of the test includes stomping on the throttle. This will test the TPS, and other things "dynamically". You can also find in the forum here how to test the TPS by just doing a resistance test. I suggest looking at the TPS because I had one with a dead spot about 2/3 from full throttle with no CEL. The KOER found it, and I confirmed it with my multimeter.

thank you for the response ... I know Explorers are not easy on gas, but I have read that most 2wds get around 20mpg or a little more ... I can check the TPS, but I honestly don't believe it to be the culprit ... it just lacks power throughout the entire range ... also do these have an EGR ? I looked and couldn't find it ... when I got my 96 it had a clogged DPFE and I replaced it with a plastic one & it made a HUGE difference ... just a thought from previous problems

Egr & DPFE are on 94's. 20mpg??? I've never seen that on mine. The lack of power could be a clogged shift solenoid.

91's and 92's don't have an EGR sysem. I'm not sure if it was 93 or 94 when EGR was introduced.

Both my 92 and 94 got 12-14 mpg with the kids driving it to school (short distance). On the highway, the best I would expect is about 18. But both were 4WD.

But if the big issue here seems to be sluggishness more than MPG, I've read somewhere that a failed fan clutch can cause problems like this.

MPG will be very dependent on driving style, road conditions and gear ratio.

With 3.27's and stock tires (well, 30" tires) we were still averaging 18-20 highway mpg on our '92 (it has 150k miles or so back then). Around town though the mileage was very low teens and it couldn't get out of its own way. If you tried to make it move quickly your mileage would drop even more.

With lots of in town driving of freeway driving @ 2600 rpms (numerically high gear ratio) I could see an average of < 15...

So.. What your gear ratio, what your driving style and what speed are you driving? And don't just say freeway.. Around here its 75mph and there is a big difference in mpg for a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a billboard turned sideways between 60mph and 80mph.

~Mark

Ok, I just read your first post again. The first thing I'd do is go to the auto parts store and rent a fuel pressure tester. (Return it later for a full refund). Hook it up properly, and somehow feed the gauge through the gap in the hood seam so you can see it while driving. (Tape or ty-wrap the gauge to the radio antenna). Then go do some driving. At the speed where you notice power dropping off, note the fuel pressure. If it drops below spec, you've found the problem.

It may seem funny that low fuel pressure would equate to poor MPG, but remember you are probably trying to compensate for poor performance by a heavier foot on the pedal.

My '91 4WD got a very consitant 20MPG.
One of the last vehicles that still have fully unlocking hubs, At the Hub.
unlike many that keep te half shafts spinning.
I would check or replave the Fuel pressure regulator. When the diaphragm splits a bit, the engine appears to run fine but gas bypasses and dumps some fuel into the Manifold.

My 92, 4WD with an A4LD has the same type of symptoms. 12.5 MPG around town and 13.25 on the highway. It has 262,000 miles. Power is pathetic; to travel on the freeway it takes about 3/4 throttle and if you come to a hill it will want to downshift to 2nd at 60 mph.

It runs like it's pulling a heavy trailer. The parking brake does release.

When it was new to me in '94 and had only 54,000 miles it got about 20 mpg on the highway and 15± around town, with good pep.

The engine was replaced at about 185K after a rod broke. New head gaskets were installed 12,000 miles ago due to coolant in #6. Cylinders, piston crowns and valves look great. The valves were brushed clean of those pesky gasoline deposits, so much for buying brand name fuel fuel (none of them clean like a wire brush).

The CEL is dark but functional and no codes come from the OBD-1.

We replaced the fuel pressure regulator because it couldn't hold pressure when the pump went off. This improved performance, including a high RPM misfire, but not to a satisfactory standard. No effect on fuel economy.

While under extreme load the fuel pressure goes up to to 40 PSI in 3rd gear at 4,000 RPMs and holds on a long steep hill. It does not drop when put into overdrive. At idle its about 35 PSI. So fuel is delivered.

The injectors are clean at the screen and at the tips. They hold fuel pressure of 75 PSI with a gauge connected to the return line.

The original oxygen sensor was replaced a few years ago, with no change in performance. The cat flows freely and we have never failed a California smog check.

The Throttle Position sensor, Mass Air Flow sensor and Crankshaft Position sensor all have normal outputs.

Air Charge Temperature sensor was replaced, its cheap and there does not seem to be a reliable test.

Replacing the plugs and wires smoothed the idle a bit, no appreciable change in performance.

A Ford dealer looked at it, replaced the filters and MAF and then said, "it's an old car."

An independent mechanic looked at it and concluded, "it was beyond his expertise." I like a mechanic with integrity.

Engine vacuum is good. This rules out mechanical timing trouble.

Under hood temperatures seem a little hot. Thermostat and fan clutch are new. The radiator is original. If you run hard on the freeway on a hot day with the AC on, then park in the shade and idle for 15 minutes it will overflow the coolant recovery bottle, which I keep at a minimal level. The dash board gauge runs between the N and O in normal; it rises to the high side of R when the coolant boils out.

Can this be a timing issue? The SAW was removed between the ECU and the EDIS module causing the EDIS to run in default mode with 10° static timing. The car runs about the same. When the SAW is replaced, the RPMs do tick up by about 50.

The timing light shows the base timing is on the money. However, when the engine is revved in neutral, the mark flits around a bit but you do not see a smooth advance. At 2,000 RPMs it seems like you should observe 20-30° of advance. I've seen claims it will advance to 59.5°.

I've read the sad tomes of those who have spent hundreds, if not thousands, on trial and error repairs by wholesale replacement of these highly reliable parts.

It could be a wiring harness problem; there is lots of wire to all the sensors. The pins and sockets in the connectors look brand new when opened.

How can it be determined if the EDIS or the ECM is the source of the trouble?

My 92, 4WD with an A4LD has the same type of symptoms. 12.5 MPG around town and 13.25 on the highway. It has 262,000 miles. Power is pathetic; to travel on the freeway it takes about 3/4 throttle and if you come to a hill it will want to downshift to 2nd at 60 mph.

It runs like it's pulling a heavy trailer. The parking brake does release.

When it was new to me in '94 and had only 54,000 miles it got about 20 mpg on the highway and 15± around town, with good pep.

The engine was replaced at about 185K after a rod broke. New head gaskets were installed 12,000 miles ago due to coolant in #6. Cylinders, piston crowns and valves look great. The valves were brushed clean of those pesky gasoline deposits, so much for buying brand name fuel fuel (none of them clean like a wire brush).

The CEL is dark but functional and no codes come from the OBD-1.

We replaced the fuel pressure regulator because it couldn't hold pressure when the pump went off. This improved performance, including a high RPM misfire, but not to a satisfactory standard. No effect on fuel economy.

While under extreme load the fuel pressure goes up to to 40 PSI in 3rd gear at 4,000 RPMs and holds on a long steep hill. It does not drop when put into overdrive. At idle its about 35 PSI. So fuel is delivered.

The injectors are clean at the screen and at the tips. They hold fuel pressure of 75 PSI with a gauge connected to the return line.

The original oxygen sensor was replaced a few years ago, with no change in performance. The cat flows freely and we have never failed a California smog check.

The Throttle Position sensor, Mass Air Flow sensor and Crankshaft Position sensor all have normal outputs.

Air Charge Temperature sensor was replaced, its cheap and there does not seem to be a reliable test.

Replacing the plugs and wires smoothed the idle a bit, no appreciable change in performance.

A Ford dealer looked at it, replaced the filters and MAF and then said, "it's an old car."

An independent mechanic looked at it and concluded, "it was beyond his expertise." I like a mechanic with integrity.

Engine vacuum is good. This rules out mechanical timing trouble.

Under hood temperatures seem a little hot. Thermostat and fan clutch are new. The radiator is original. If you run hard on the freeway on a hot day with the AC on, then park in the shade and idle for 15 minutes it will overflow the coolant recovery bottle, which I keep at a minimal level. The dash board gauge runs between the N and O in normal; it rises to the high side of R when the coolant boils out.

Can this be a timing issue? The SAW was removed between the ECU and the EDIS module causing the EDIS to run in default mode with 10° static timing. The car runs about the same. When the SAW is replaced, the RPMs do tick up by about 50.

The timing light shows the base timing is on the money. However, when the engine is revved in neutral, the mark flits around a bit but you do not see a smooth advance. At 2,000 RPMs it seems like you should observe 20-30° of advance. I've seen claims it will advance to 59.5°.

I've read the sad tomes of those who have spent hundreds, if not thousands, on trial and error repairs by wholesale replacement of these highly reliable parts.

It could be a wiring harness problem; there is lots of wire to all the sensors. The pins and sockets in the connectors look brand new when opened.

How can it be determined if the EDIS or the ECM is the source of the trouble?
Not sure if this Generation has both a crank and cam sensor. If it only has the crank sensor then it is possible for the Cam to be off a tooth ( if the Chain was ever tampered with). With only the Crank sensor, there would not be an OBDII code seeing teh cam and crank relationship is off. A Cam that is one tooth off will let the engine start fine, idle nice but be very doggy on acceleration.

Thanks for the input!

I should have inspected that more closely when my son changed the front seal. The chain seemed to have a lot of slack for 65,000 miles when we looked at it. To mitigate my regret, the damper has a significant groove where the seal seats and it still leaks even though we polished off the rust.

The OBD I does not look at the cam.

OBDI Of course.. sorry.

Front Seal.. for some vehicles they sell a very very thin 'bushing' to put over the groove.
In other cars the Timing Cover has enough room where you can get away with not bottoming out the seal so it rides on a fresh section of the Damper.

I think I'm going with the thin bushing. I did reposition the seal a bit to no avail.

OBDI Of course.. sorry.

You almost had it.. :)

Some of the ODB-I explorers (4.0 ohv) do have cam sensors..

1991-1992 have no Cam sensor

Some 1993 (CA and some later year builds) have a Cam sensor

1994 does have the Cam sensor and they have EGR too.

For added confusion.. some 1993's have EGR, some don't and there are different combos of EGR & Cam sensor motors around.

~Mark

I drive my 94 about 4000 miles a year so we piled in and drove the old girl about 400 miles straight....18.6 mpg at 60mph tops as my tires are square. A lot of back roads also.

That's a 4x4 auto,3.73 rear with manual hubs and 156,000 miles.

This supports what I think I should get.

I suspect there is "Sum Ting Wong"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The ECT (engine coolant temp) and ACT (air charge temp) sensors act together and perform many of the functions of the choke on a carburetor. With a digital meter, you can easily check them. They are both "negative temperature coefficient thermistors" which is a big term for "if the temp goes up, the resistance goes down". A couple of values are in the ball park if the coolant temp is 158 degrees, the resistance should be about 7.7K ohms, and at 68 degrees, resistance should be 37.3K ohms.

Not saying this is your problem, but it's an easy check, and I didn't see in your postings where those parts had been addressed.

Back