91 Explorer ABS Light Error | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 Explorer ABS Light Error

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My ABS Light came on once after a panic stop. I could feel the ABS working then after when I tried stopping very sudenly NO ABS. I think the light indicates when then system is not on. I've heard it can sometimes be caused by a dirty sensor on the wheel or axle, or where ever it is located.

Have a look at your fuse panel.

When my abs lite came on in my 94 XLT......it was the HCU(hydraulic control unit)for the abs system ......a replacement was $1500......a check that you can run is when you turn the ignition have your foot on the brake and you may feel a slight bump from the brake peddle......which is only an indication that the unit is powered up....you may have differential braking.......abs operating on all wheels but one....which could be hazardous.....the ford dealer is the only one who can read the codes for the abs system.....the safe bet is to have the abs disconnected. Steve

91-92 only have rear abs, mine is still on after I changed the rear sensor.

My rabs module was out on my 89 ranger (rabs). I never replaced it though.

How do you guys check for ABS codes? Is there some wires to short out to get the codes to flash on the ABS light? We had a scanner hook up to the explorer and it couldn't get com., so, no codes. How do I get the ABS codes to flash on the dashboard? Thanks.

Back