91 Explorer Blinkers. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 Explorer Blinkers.

JasonGoff

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 explorer 4x4
Hello, I'm trying to diagnose a blinker problem. its a 91 4x4 explorer.

I checked all the fuses, and replaced the blinker unit. I checked the bulbs and found them to be fine. The hazards work. When I first noticed it I worked on it a bit and the blinkers started working.. and I thought I fixed it but later they stopped working again.. I think there is a loose wire or connection somewhere.

The rear defroster is not working now either. I read that there is some sort of connection between the 2 problems but I'm not sure what that is. Is it a loose ground or something?

Also I havent taken the switch apart on the steering column yet to see if there is a disconnection.

Thank you for your help.. I read the forums from time to time but this is my first time posting here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im having the same exact problem i posted yesterday,i bought a 92 exolorer 4x4 on saturday got to the gas station and when i left after gettin gas the blinkers werent working, i replaced the flasher and a burnt brake light bulb but its still doin it (blinkers and heater quit workin then if i turn the car off and restart they will work again and then won,and then will) let me know if you figure it out ive read on here about bad grounded brake lights and other stuff but cant figure it out, i think if i shake the fuse box iut helps?lol

I havent found any ground problem, I sent away for a new MFS, I'm hoping that this is the problem.. I need a new one anyways.. it always turned the signals off too early..

I found a site that had the wiring diagrams for the 91 explorer, and found that the rear defroster and the blinkers are on seperate grounds, but they are on the same #5 fuse.. I'm pretty sure that the fuse is ok, but I'll check it again in the morning.

Is there a ground that connects the fuse box to anything? I haven't been able to find the one you spoke of near my left foot, exactly where is the position of that one??

I know someone said there is a ground on the steering column as well.. when I pull the old MFS off I will check to see if that is the problem

you have to pull the plastic trim from the body to expose any wires. There is 2 or 3 grounds on that particular location.

On the 91 there's a couple screws to remove to pull the plastic then some fishing the piece out from a couple other spots.

Hi there,

I think I've narrowed the problem to the rear wiring.. whenever I shift into reverse is when the #5 fuse for the defroster and the blinkers pops.

I looked around the back wiring and found that part of the wiring harness behind the rear drivers side wheel had been damaged, I butt spliced the wires back together and taped it up pretty good, I thought this would fix the problem, but it didn't. I guess I need to check the relays and the back up lights too.

so i just figured it out i my 92 explorer if i start the truck and then slightly turn the ignition back the blinkers and heater will work if i turn the ignition all the way forward they will stop lol i would constantley haft to start an restart the truck to get it to work and the whole time it was just the position of the ignition

Back